Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room

Mold and mildew and cause a room to smell musty. This is a guide about eliminating musty smells from a room.

cleaning bucket
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I keep a bowl of white vinegar on my stove to keep cooking odors down. When a closet or room starts to smell musty or stale, I put a bowl of white vinegar on a shelf for a few days. This usually takes care of just about any smell. It was especially good when my son was a teenager.

(You won't smell the vinegar except when you first pour it.)

Source: Personal experience

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I moved into my home a year ago and got the chimneys taken out the living and dining room and the room between the two rooms. We got everything plastered and have gotten new furniture and carpet. However, I have noticed a smell in the room. When you enter the room you notice it more. It's not foul like sewage; it just smells odd and not fresh. My husband put two vents in the room to improve the air flow, but the smell is still there. It only goes away when the windows are opened and then comes back when we close the windows. What could it be?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

An animal may have decided to build a home somewhere in your walls or under the house. It is also possible that an animal has died in the walls, floor, underneath, etc. A pest control specialist can check the entire area, remove the home or dead animal and recommend what you can do to prevent future problems. If there is a dead animal in the house structure or underneath, the decay process can leak into the wood structures. If so, you may need to replace the affected area as the smell will last a very long time.

Read More Answers...

Tips and ideas for eliminating musty smells. Post your ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could be a plumbing issue. I had a musty smell in a bedroom, and found that there was a leak in the cold water supply pipe under the bathroom sink. Had to rip out the sheet rock and have a plumber fix the leak. I bought Damp Rid at the hardware store, and the smell is now gone!

Read More Answers...

I just bought an entertainment center at Circuit City's liquidation sale that is non-returnable. When we got it home, I noticed the awful mildew smell and now my allergies are out of control. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this smell? There is no visible mildew and I've cleaned the whole thing with furniture polish, which made the smell worse. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You probablly need to combine the above solutions. You need both to kill the growth, and to deodorize. (Furniture polish doesn't clean or disinfect, it only shines)

The bleach solution or a Pinesol like product to kill the mold/mildew -- when you are cleaning, be sure that you don't just wipe down the surfaces, do the undersides and the backs, inside any drawers or cabinets etc. The mold/mildew could be anywhere. Don't forget the underside of the entire piece, as the entertainment center might have gotten wet from sitting in water.

After you have used these to kill the mildew and clean, then you might want to put in the charcoal to absorb any left over odors, especially inside of drawers or cabinets. Good luck!!!

Read More Answers...

I live in a mobile home. This back room is starting to smell so musty. There are no leaks so it isn't the water heater. I can't afford a dehumidifier but need to get rid of this smell.

Any help would be appreciated.

By Lorraine from Bristol, CT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Place a small glass or small container filled with apple cidar vinegar on a table or shelf out of the way so that you don't have to worry about it spilling. After a day or two the smell will be gone. You can leave it in the room to keep it from smelling again. Once it empty, you can fill it back up again.

Read More Answers...

I have a musty ceiling smell when I turn off the central air conditioning. It just smells awful. We can't get up into the "attic", there is only 2 feet of space from the ceiling to the roof.

I suspect it's leaking or something. It gets way worse when I turn on the central air conditioning or if I turn "up" the thermostat. It's a new roof. I can smell it in the rooms of the house, not just "up there". Would a dehumidifier help?

By Bella Swan from Miami, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you hired someone to put on that new roof it's time to call them AND call around for a second, third and fourth opinion of the cause. If it's because of bad workmanship and you can back that up with facts the company who caused the problem is responsible to repair. You might want to also test for mold 'just in case' because that is a major health hazard and spreads even in to dry areas :-( The roofing company is also responsible for that if it turns out to be because of their work.

Read More Answers...
      Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 23, 2013
      Musty Shoes
      Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
      Must Leather Couch
      Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
      older mobile home
      Identifying and Eliminating Odor in Mobile Home
      Odor Eliminator
      Odor Eliminator Product Reviews
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 1, 2016 at 9:05:06 PM on 10.0.2.81 in 512 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.