Finding Inexpensive Flooring

What are the cheapest ways to improve kitchen flooring? Is there anything cheaper than laminate or linoleum?

By Louise

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Patricia Eldridge 269 11/06/2009

The cheapest way to improve kitchen flooring is to paint it. Make sure the floor is completely clean and dry first, and then you can be totally creative with the paint. When the paint is dry, put one or two coats of polyurethane over it. You can get many ideas for designs at sites like www.diy.com or www.hgtv.com.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Paula Jo C. 24 253 11/07/2009

Go to FreeCycle.org to see if some is offered in there for free. I too would probably paint it if there ends up being nothing free for the floor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Allison 460 11/24/2009

You can also paint the floor in an artsy pattern. Try this: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/12173.shtml

And, don't forget to try regular flooring stores. Most are hurting for business and might sell you overstock or slightly imperfect flooring for less than you can do at the home improvement stores.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.

Archive: Finding Inexpensive Flooring

I am remodeling my house and have run short on cash. We have everything done, but the painting and the flooring. Where can I find inexpensive carpet for a living room and two small bedrooms?