Top Pancakes With Applesauce Mixed With Syrup

contest winner icon

My kids love to have pancakes or French toast for breakfast pretty often. My only concern is the amount of syrup that they eat along with the main course. We started making our own syrup from fresh fruit when available, but there's still a lot of sugar in it too. So, I have started putting a dollop of syrup into a bowl of applesauce and topping their pancakes with that instead. More nutrition and less sugar, means less hyper kids to scrape off the ceiling an hour later!

By Gina J. from CO

Good idea! I have my daughter thinking that less sugar syrup is natural! I buy two syrup containers each time we need syrup, 1 sugar free (Aunt Jemima or Log Cabin) and 1 Low sugar (the low sugar brand still has a LOT) mix them together in a bowl and put back into the containers. She never seems to mind and my husband the picky eater doesn't eat syrup so everyone is happy! Now, if only I could get my husband to not like cookies, candy and soda!

Great idea! I will have to try this. My daughter is naturallly hyper and she knows I limit her intake of sugar. She is 6yrs old and when she requests something, she will ask me how much sugar is in it. I am with you michawnpita, my husband cannot leave sweets alone either, doesnt know what to do if we run out of cookies and sweet treats. (drives him crazy), I hate to keep them in the house tho. But I cannot give up my cherry pepsi either, lol. I made my own sugar free applesauce, the apples were sweet enough that i didnt have to add sugar. Thanks for sharing this tip.