Changing the Names of Kittens

This is Midnight and Diamond. They were rescued from the shelter. Their names were given to them by their previous owners. Does it matter if I change their names?

trkrsteve

Awww! They are really cute! How old are they? If they are young, I am sure you can. Just talk to them and use the new names as often as possible until they get used to it. I have known people to change the names of animals they have rescued without problems.

No, it shouldn't, I had one named Cleopatra, and I adopted her at 6 months and changed her name to Lupe because she was from Mexico and needed the protection of The Blessed Mother! I think cats listen more to their owner's voice, because I had a special whistle and call for her, it got so that my MIL's birds repeat it, even after she has passed on for two years!

A rose is still a rose by any other name...

I don't think it matters at all, after all nearly every cat/kitten gets its named changed. You don't think so? Consider.. a proud owner calls the new kitty a grand sounding name like my own cat Grania (an Irish name) but she now answers to Bunny, Pie, Pretty girl, Babushka, Minch, 'Well, I guess you get my drift! It's the sound of your voice they get to know, and the way you talk to them.

Gorgeous shiny kitty kats~ How cute~

I'd go with what Katieandjeffy said repeat the names often and they should get it. I always felt it

was giving all a fresh start!

If you haven't already called them lots of different names like cutesypoo and sweetie pie, it would really surprise me. One more name would hardly be any different.

It won't matter. I have three adopted cats and they all got new names. I think they learn that that's what YOU call them! It took a little bit for them to get used to (as with everything else around the house) but they all respond to their new names just fine.

JOAnn

If children can do fine with new names (we adopted two and changed their names) then I don't see why cats can't. I mean sometimes people take in an abandonned animal that probably already had a name and new owner gives a new name.

If you adopted these kitties they may not like their old names anyway because they were given up by those people.

They may have bad feelings about their former people and would enjoy a totally new start.

Black and White Kitten
Adopting a Kitten
Pets CatsMay 1, 2006
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Newborn orange and white kitten.
Caring for Newborn Kittens
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
Woman with Adopted Dog
Adopting a Pet
🎄