Billie Holiday and Maggie (Chow Mix)

Here are some of the ThriftyFun Office Assistants. Billie Holiday is a long haired black diva that thinks everything in the house belongs to her. Billie is 8 years old. She likes to walk in front of my computer screen while I'm trying to get the newsletters out. She's hard to see through. Fluff, fluff, purr, purr.

Maggie is a Chow mix that was rescued from an Animal Shelter in Oregon. She had been tied to the fence outside the shelter so no one had any history about her. She had been spayed so someone did care about her at one time. The vet figured she was between one and two when we got her last July and probably had a full blood chow mom and a mixed up dad. She's a sweetie, rarely barks, has good manners and loves to follow the cats around.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Maggie (Chow Mix)

What a great story.

Your Maggie looks so much like our Cleo that we lost last June. Cleo was also part Chow and a mix of German Shepard and Golden. We had Cleo for almost ten yearrs and it was very hard to let her go. She was very ill. When I saw Maggie it brought a tear and a smile.

Hi Chris,

Chows do make interesting mixes and everyone I've known with one, loves them. Glad Maggie can carry on for Cleo.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I just sent this picture to Luanne Alomair of the Northwest Chow Rescue in Oregon who lists in She is the wonderful woman who made it possible to rescue Maggie. Magpie was rescued from the Columbia County Animal Shelter in St. Helens, Oregon.

I previously had fostered another Chow/Leonberger mix we named Sullivan who was adopted by a couple in California and their dog, Beauregard. Beau and Sully look like they must be littermates.

Luanne and I have been through many dog adventures with a rescue of a bunch of puppy mill Chows from Montana, to our taking one of her puppies to see how he would get on with Maggie and the cats. Unfortunately that didn't work out because he is very single minded when it comes to cats. He just wouldn't leave them alone and would move furniture to try to get to them. He is living with her happily in Oregon. Her kids were very happy to have him come home! We get updates on him and Sully from time to time.

For those of you who have considered fostering or adopting, I can't say enough good about people like Luanne who tirelessly work to keep so many dogs from being euthanized. For those of you who are considering getting a pet, please visit PetFinders. You can find nearly any breed or mix.

Anyway, she had ALREADY SEEN THE PICTURE! Someone had sent it to her and she was so happy to know that it was one of her rescues. Funny how small our world is, huh?

Susan from ThriftyFun

Susan :Send this to Bonfire & Happy Pets please . If you did already I missed it . Now it's in my My Pictures file & so glad to know Sully & the other fluffball are fine too.

I was just surfing the animal pics ,saw their names &

freaked a bit . Great picture too.

Great story! Great History!

My first dog (I was 4 years old) was a chow /spitz mix and Tinker Toy looked exactly like a red fox. He even smiled like a fox, and he was one of the smartest animals I've ever known. Toy was my constant companion until I started to school, and I hate to think of the many times my poor mother had to walk to our school to get that dog.

I walked to school, and he'd have to be locked up to keep him from following me. He wised up though, and after he was loose, he just pretended to be a bloodhound and would track me down. Mr. Turnmyer (our school principal) would call my mother to "Please come and get your dog". It was a good mile each way. Poor Mommy.

Toy had to stay indoors until I got home from school but sometimes he'd manage to get out. And Mom would get that phone call. She was already dressed and waiting for it when he'd call. Toy wasn't home, so he had to be at school.

The day my Aunt Esta brought Toy to me was over 72 years ago now, and I wish I had a picture of Toy, but I don't. All I have to do though is see a picture of a red fox and all the precious memories come flooding back. I close my eyes and Toy and I play "Hide and Seek" once again. Thank you for sharing your fur-baby assistants with us Susan.

Pookarina /Julia

Chow Chow Mix
Chow Chow Mix Photos
Pets Pet PagesFebruary 2, 2005
"Puppy Love" Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow Snack Recipes
Chicken Chow Mein
Chicken Chow Mein Casserole Recipes
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
Honey the Dog at the Top of a Large Hill
Chow Chow Breed Information and Photos