Recycling Old Trophies

You can recycle those old, unwanted, dusty trophies cluttering up your closet. This is a guide about recycling old trophies.

A photo of an old, gold trophy.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Where can I donate sports trophies in the Charlottesville, Virginia area?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Special Olympics used to take any/all trophies to award their kiddoes ... give them a call???

Read More Answers...

I am affiliated with a swim team and I have tons of trophies we do not want to throw away. Can you advise? Special Olympics does not want them. I live in Houston, Texas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't find a group that wants them, you can donate them to thrift shops. Shops in my area seem to be able to sell them. It is possible to switch out the tops (a swimmer for a golfer, for example). My mother used to have that done with donated trophies.

Where in the central New Jersey area can I donate about 60 trophies that my 3 sons have received over the past 10 years or so? The majority have a baseball, basketball, or soccer figure on top.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Boys and girls clubs, schools maybe. The Salvation Army will take them, and resell them. Other thrift stores may take them. Perhaps the clubs that gave them to your sons may take them back to reuse after you remove the name plates.

Read More Answers...

Where can I donate my old baseball, cheerleading , swim, and soccer trophies?

By Bridget B. from Charlotte, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My school is hosting a Little Mr. and Miss Princess Pageant and we are looking for any trophy donations. We recycle the parts for trophies. Anyone living in the Louisville, KY or Southern Indiana area.....please email

Read More Answers...

My daughter has many old girl's basketball trophies that are in good condition and I am hoping an organization can use them. I live in the Pasadena, California area. Thank you.

By Ellen M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Special Olympics explicitly says that they do NOT want used trophies. They give out new trophies and ribbons for their events. Thanks.

Read More Answers...

Where can I donate or recycle my old sports trophies (swimming, basketball, softball, field hockey, etc.)? I live in northwestern Connecticut.

By Martha Z

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We have an organization called "Community Living" in our town where challenged people live. They have picnics and sports events and the residents got a trophy for winning. All were from garage sales and had been tossed out. They really don't care what the trophy says or whose name is on it or what it was for. They "won."

Read More Answers...

We had 4 boys in sports and have many trophies that I just can't seem to throw away. Will someone take them as a donation? Thanks.

By Cathie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We received this advisory from a reader:

"Mostly an FYI, not a question I contacted Special Olympics, as suggested in your blog. I was told that they only use ribbons. Just thought I'd spare people the inquiry.

By Patricia V."

Read More Answers...

Where can I donate my old trophies, so that they can be recycled for good use?

By Lynda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also try clubs and youth groups in the area. You could offer them on Freecycle or whatever you have. When I taught, we used them in our curling bonspiel, and some places will swap out the tops, so that bowling trophys, for example, can be changed to sunflower spitting contest trophys. I have also seen them for sale at the Salvation Army or Winners, so you can give them to charities too.

Read More Answers...

My belated husband was an avid pool player and I have an abundance of trophies stored away. I am looking to donate them to a charity or a pool league that might be needing trophies in order to pay out more to the players. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Advertise on Craigslist. Do it in the "free" section and again in sports. Also, would your local pool parlor be interested? Lastly, you can ask the local sports shops what they might think. I hope that helps. PBP

We have several trophies which were packed away in our attic. These were from our childrens' high school days in the late 70s, early 80s. They do not want them, nor do we. Is there a place in the Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania area that accepts these for recycling purposes?

By B. Smith

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Since the plate can be removed, check out the local thrift stores.

Read More Answers...

I have several trophies I would like to donate. Is there a place where I could take them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why not put them free on craigs list? May have a needy organization who might want them.

OR contact whatever sport club they are from your local organizations. It could save them money from having to buy trophies...which are so costly. They would only need to change the plaque on them.

I am wanting to donate tropies that my daughters have earned through 4-H and local horse shows. Is there anywhere in Canada that takes the donation of trophies? I live in Southern Alberta.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For a start, why don't you contact the local 4H clubs and see if they would like to reuse the trophies? Remove the name plaques, maybe keep those for a souvenir as they take up hardly any space, and the trophies are ready to be used again. With a phonecall or two, you will likely find someplace that will use them - a local school (my school used to reuse curling trophies for our bonspiels), a sports day with kids events (my mom took curling trophies, swapped out the curler for virtually no charge, and had them engraved for sunflower spitting and ballthrow competitions), maybe Special Olympics.

The Salvation Army will take trophies as well as Value Village, if you can't find any local club or organization that wants them. I am from Sask; I am sure it would be the same where you are.

I have quite a few of old sports trophies that I would like to recycle. I live in Alabama is there a location near me or even around Atlanta Georgia that I might be able to take them?

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are many places that will reuse trophies - boys and girls clubs, perhaps Scouts & Guides, sometimes schools, charitable events, etc. If they do not use them for the sport that is depicted, most trophy sellers will swap out the top, sometimes for free (especially if you are getting engraving done there.)

We used to recycle curling trophies at the school I taught at; we took off the name plaques, and used them that way. Many places like Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift shops will take them as well, as they can sell them.

Read More Answers...

Where do I take these trophies to without having the expense of shipping them?

By Alma S from Casselberry, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

In our area, we can donate trophies to the Salvation Army Thrift Store or other thrift stores/charities. Or some clubs might use them. Phone around in your local area. Schools, especially elementary schools, might be interested in them.

Our school used to take curling trophies, remove the plaques, and then use them in our curling bonspiels (a popular sport in our area). Also, many trophy shops will trade in the top for a small fee so you can switch out the sport (eg bowling for watermelon spitting contest).

My mother used to do this with donated trophies for a community sports day for the children's games that she organized. She was able to give quite grandiose trophies for the races, ball throws, and watermelon spitting events that she held. Once the plaques are removed, the trophy is easily repurposed for other events. Call local schools and clubs such as Scouts, Guides, boys and girls clubs, etc.

Read More Answers...

Where can I donate old trophies?

By Cathy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Schools sometimes use them for prizes, clubs such as Scouts may use them. My mother used to repurpose old trophies by trading in the tops (usually curling or bowling figures) for ball throw and racing figures for use at the kids games she ran at the family fun day we held in our community.

I think you can donate them to Goodwill, Value Village, or the Salvation Army (where they sell them for a tiny amount to clubs!). Offer them on Freecycle or similar websites. I am sure you will be able to find someone who will take them off your hands.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for ideas on recycled trophies. One was for lamps and the other for special Olympics. Could you let me know any more?

Patricia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Old trophies can be recycled by using the tops (the people, balls, etc) as a coat rack in a child's room by attaching the tops to a piece of wood as the hangers. The marble can be reused in the garden to separate flower beds, if you lay then on their side it gives a sawtooth effect much like bricks on their sides. Hope this gives you some ideas!

Read More Answers...

Where can I donate them where they can be used as a trophy again, not end up in a recycle bin? I would be willing to drop them off.

By Peggy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact your local Special Olympics... they always can use them!

My husband has a lot of trophies for various sports. We're thinking of moving to another house and need to declutter. Can I recycle them?

By Sheila

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There may be children's clubs in your area that will take them. I used to teach elementary school, and we used curling trophies for our little school bonspiels. My mother used to run kids games at our rural sports/family fun days in our small town, and she would take used trophies, switch out the tops at a trophy store (say get rid of the bowler and put on a sunflower for sunflower spitting!), and give them out to the winners of the kids games.

I have seen trophies for sale at Thrift Stores or Value Village. See if local charities will take them. Phone school and children's organizations. You might try Special Olympics. You could offer them to give away online in your local buy/sell postings - Kjjii, Craigslist, etc.

I have two boxes full of bowling trophies. Where can I recycle them?

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Load More
              Better Living Green Living RecyclingFebruary 9, 2013
              Old Dresser
              Recycling an Old Dresser
              Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
              Making Recycling Fun
              Woman Recycling Her Old Cell Phone
              Recycling Your Old Cell Phones And Computers
              Trophy in Hands
              Selling Trophies
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 12:06:09 PM on 10.0.1.62 in 303 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.