I have a 11 year old miniature Dachshund and I have noticed that she has really bad breath that actually smells like her poop. I have also noticed that she sometime does eat her own poop.
I have asked a vet about it and they informed me that it is sometimes natural for some breeds to eat their own feces. I have tried giving her Milk Bones and brushing her teeth with doggie toothpaste, but it only works temporarily for a day or two.
My question is, are there any other home remedies to help her with her breath? I have heard from some people that garlic can help, but I have not tried it yet because I know that garlic is part of the onion family and onions are toxic to dogs. She also does not care for apples or carrots. Any other suggestions? Anything helps. Thanks.
By Anjelah from San Jose, CA
I have one dog that thoroughly enjoys munching on his (or any other dog's) poop. Yep, it's indeed disgusting and will result in very, very, very, bad breath. Our other dogs outgrew it as they matured from puppy-hood, but not this big guy. All breeds do it to some extent.
The only solution to improving his breath I've ever found is to scoop up and dispose of the poop before he has a chance to consume it in the yard! Best to drag out that pooper-scooper and eliminate the source of the problem. If you notice an improvement after you do so on a regular basis, you can then assume that the bad breath problem was just that (poop eating) and not another, possibly intestinal or infectious, issue. Good Luck! :-)
Check your dog's teeth, especially in the back, to see if they are coated with tartar. This can cause bad breath in a dog. To help eliminate the odor, the teeth will need to be cleaned by the vet. Another possible reason is worms. Have your dog checked for them.
Yes, there is a dog mouth rinse I bought on jefferspets.com and it is expensive, but lasts a long time. I pour a little onto a child size battery operated toothbrush and clean my small dog's teeth with it. Allow the brush to do the work and don't scrub them manually too or the gum-lines can get sore. A few times a week should be enough brushing to keep them clean and odor free.
The same link I provided sells something that helps dogs to not enjoy feces. You might want to check it out. They will also send you a catalog if you prefer not to order over the 'net.
Giving your dog marrow bones to chew will clean his teeth more effectively than you brushing them. If his breath is bad it's because his teeth are dirty. Chewing on marrow bones will even remove tartar. You should make sure he has no bad teeth that actually need removing, because no amount of chewing on marrow bones will fix that!
Cayenne pepper sprinkled dry on the dog cigars.
Hey neighbor, I am up in Petaluma.
I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. You need to speak to your vet about having a dental done. The anesthesia is safe and gum disease can be an indication of mouth odor. Plus at his age, he might have to have a few extractions. Good luck.
I also have mini Dachshunds and 11 years old is not exactly "ancient" for them or any other small size breed. Mine are 6 and 10 and both still extremely active. From what she posted, I'm glad I don't live anywhere near where she works, and even if I did I wouldn't use her clinic! You already said you had her checked by the vet and asked for his suggestions. And yes it is common for dogs to eat feces, their own or other's. Not just Dachsie's though, but any dog.
In the past few years I've been seeing lots of different products coming out that are supposed to make the feces taste bad to the dog and therefore make them not want to eat it. So far I haven't found one that works on mine. Garlic is a good thing for dogs, but not to keep them from eating feces. I've had many vets recommend this to me, not just one. And have also done research and found there is nothing harmful in it for dogs as long as you don't give them too much. On the contrary, it is good for repelling fleas and ticks. I live in the southeast and fleas and ticks here are really bad, especially in summer. I get the garlic pills at Wal Mart and feed mine 1/2 a garlic pill daily. If you only have one dog you can sprinkle regular garlic powder on her food. But since I have two, one being a "pig" and the other not so much, this didn't work. So I give them the pills. Works great for keeping fleas, ticks and mosquitoes away from them. Living in the southeast my husband and I also eat a lot of garlic and it helps to keep those pesky things away from us too!
One thing, please don't use the cayenne pepper that one person suggested. Can you imagine? But there are different things you can try. I'm not suggesting any because I'm still searching too. Good luck! And if you find one that works I'd sure appreciate seeing a post about it!
I agree with having a dental done, I too work as a dog Groomer at a vet hospital and I know that is a big problem having tartar build up it can also cause other health risks. Good luck. Groomer
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!