Relieving Headaches

Tips to help you cure a headache, post your ideas.

Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

By Diana

Editor's Note: You can get a headache when you are dehydrated, so drinking a couple glasses of water should help too.

My father was a big health nut. Once, when I had a headache and there were no pain relievers in the house, he told me to eat a banana, as they are loaded with potassium. I thought he was crazy, but I swear, 9 out of 10 times, IT WORKS!

This may sound really strange (although it has a physiological basis), but when I awake with a migraine, I sit up straight and tilt my head back as far as it can go and just sit like that until the meds I've taken kick in. It takes the headache almost completely away. If I raise my head before the meds kick in, it comes back with a vengeance, so this is just a stop-gap measure.

Terry from ChilliOH

try a cup of coffee or a can of coke to help alleviate a migraine.....the caffeine helps to constrict the blood vessels in the head, thus relieving the pain

Hi!! also heard if you take your pain relievers with an orange or orange juice this helps out too..something in the orange.

Also with migraine, I have tried this and it does work too. Jump into the shower and turn hot water on as warm as you can handle it unto your head for 1-2 mins then turn it to cold. Alternate back and forth for awhile and it usually works.

When I have a bad migraine nothing stays down, not even sips of water. So I don't think drinking coffee (which I've tried) or eating a banana or orange would help me, I have tried the hot shower, but not switching back and forth with cold water. The next time I do have a bad migraine, I'll have to try that.

Bananas actually are one of the main triggers of migraines so be careful. I avoid them now and get less migraines. Also freshly baked breads with yeast are triggers.

whenever i get a headache i just take some yoghurt in a cup with some salt, does it almost instantly, it really works

I just read conflicting information and want to know whether eating a banana helps to get rid of a migraine headache or not.

Only 2 things I've tried that really work;

-singing to a slow song

-sleeping

Those are the only things that actually work for me.