Removing Greasy or Gummy Substances from Any Surface

To remove almost anything gunky, greasy, gummy or sticky from almost any surface, I have found that the best thing to use is one of three solvents, Lighter fluid, Gasoline or Rubbing Alcohol.

You cannot beat the frugality of using common and inexpensive (well, at least the lighter fluid and alcohol) solvents that almost everyone has around their house. No need to drive to the store (using precious gas) and spend three or four dollars on a tiny bottle of some "citrus power" gunk remover--at least not when you are dealing with fabrics and surfaces that are colorfast.

P.S. Do NOT use gasoline on your clothing--the smell will not wash out for some time. You have been warned:)

By PMZ Paul from Walnutport, PA

(b)Editor's Note:(/b) Use these solutions with care since all are flammable. With gas, both the liquid and the fumes are flammable, so it's best to use it outside and away from any open flames and ofcourse, no smoking.

Do not put any washed clothing that contained gas or an other flammable fluids into your dryer. The result could be a serious fire. Nothing with flammable liquids should be put into your dryer. I wouldn't even put them in my washing machine. If it can't be removed outside in water, I would discard the item no matter what the cost.

To remove gummy substances or sticky stuff I prefer to use Goo Be Gone. I swear by it!

I use my hair dryer to remove most sticky stuff, especially labels..makes quick work of them.

I didn't suggest putting the clothes straight into the dryer after this treatment. In fact, I didn't even suggest putting gasoline ON your clothes in the first place.

TO CLARIFY: Lighter fluid FIRST, WASH clothes SECOND, THEN dry clothes.

Do NOT put clothing saturated in any chemicals straight into your dryer. As the Editor pointed out, gasoline is a bad choice with clothing anyway. Lighter fluid, however, is safe as long as you don't put it into the dryer.

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJuly 25, 2006
Remedies for Oily Hair
Remedies for Greasy or Oily Hair
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
Closeup of pink marble slab.
Removing Stains from Marble
Cleaning Dishes
Cleaning Greasy Dishes
🎄