Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower

Category Lawn Mowers
removing riding mower wheel
Whether replacing a tire, doing maintenance, or making repairs, you may need to remove the wheels from your riding mower. This is a guide about removing a wheel from a riding mower.

How do you get a wheel off a riding mower?

By Rick

Best Answer

Usually held on with a snap ring - sometimes covered with a plastic cap. The cap can be pried off with a small straight blade screwdriver. However the only practical way to remove the snap ring is with special "snap ring pliers". Try someplace like Harbor Freight for inexpensive pliers or plier sets.

We have an MTV Riding Lawn Mower and my husband has been trying to take off the back wheel. He removed the bolt and tried to pull it off. It wouldn't come off, so he sprayed it with WD40. No luck,so he bought a puller and he said all it was doing was bending stuff. Can you tell me what the problem is and how he can get it off safely without tearing something up on it. We would be so grateful. Blessings to all of you and thank you.

Kay from Clyde, Tx

Answers

Try this site: http://www.psep  _mower_parts.htm

Have your model number & other relative info written down, then telephone and ask part removal question; please purchase wheel from them... they want to help, but also want to stay in business!

I'm assuming you meant "MTD", not "MTV"?

True, they want to stay in business, but have you seen their PRICES? I recommend Lowes for wheels, which come with the tire already mounted and inflated for less than $60 each. Of course, that's for after you get the old wheel off! I'm leaning towards a gear puller of some sort. I fully expect my MTD rear wheels to be thoroughly stuck, after 12 years! My mower has always been kept inside our garage and never put away wet. As a last resort, consider putting tubes inside the old tires and get another 10 years use out of them. Tubes are very cheap on ebay.

How do we remove a wheel from a Toro garden tractor?

According to this article from thrifty fun, you might want to invest in a set of snap ring pliers:

I have an MTD 13538 ride on with a flat front tyre. How do I get the wheel off?

By Glenn from Melbourne, Australia

Well, I have a John Deere and the instructions may be similar. this would be for both front and read wheels.

1. Remove Plastic cap.

2. Remove snap ring. To remove the snap ring you will need a special pair of pliers. This ring is what holds the wheel in place.

3. Remove the wheel and washers.

4. For the rear wheels there is a shaft key, 2 washers and a spacer that also slides out.

5. If this does'nt help then visit a shop that repairs mowers and ask them to show you how to remove the wheel.

And lastly, Have you tried to inflate the tire with a hand air pump?

My husband can't get the flat tire and wheel off his Toro riding mower and he his getting frustrated.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

By Janieteel from Mentone, IN

Answers

I need instruction on how to remove a front flat wheel from a Toro riding mower model CT 2200?