Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture

Ever since I bought the natural cat litter, my male cat has protested right on my sofa ruining it. I changed the litter back to the one he is used to and I am getting new furniture. How do I stop him from peeing on my new furniture?

By Jennifer from Fort Wayne, IN

Cats are very particular about the litter in their boxes. Go back to the litter you were using and gradually change to the new one. He may be confused because his scent isn't in the litter box. To stop him from using your furniture, try sprinkling a little cayenne pepper on the fabric or on a cloth and place the cloth on his favorite potty spot. Cats don't like the scent of cayenne and that will usually deter them.

Do not use cayenne pepper. Cats get it on their paws and then into their eyes. Animals have been blinded by clawing at their eyes. I have a male cat who just likes to ignore the litter box from time to time. Lucky for him he is adorable and I love him to pieces. I have used Comfort Zone with feliway to keep him from returning to his favorite spots. It works but you need to spray it daily (sometimes more than once) After a week or two he gives up. I get it online from Only Natural Pet. It is pricey but worth it.

Cats don't like aluminum foil. You could try putting some on the arms of the sofa and around the edges. Changing back to his favored litter was a good idea too.

Cat peeking over the arm of a purple colored couch.
Keeping Cats from Peeing on Furniture
Pets CatsMarch 2, 2011
Cat on a white bed with a window in the background
Keeping Cats from Peeing on a Bed
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
🎉
🎄