Steel Wool Left Stains on Wood Table

I am refinishing a dining room table, using a stain remover to lift the stain. The directions called for steel wool, but the steel wool has left dark black stains on the wood. Does any one have a remedy for removing the black stains?

By Jackie from Los Angeles, CA

Not sure how you used the steel wool, but usually it is a plain steel-wool, used in varying sizes going from the heaviest to the lightest as a sanding tool. By sanding with steel-wool, you can get a very smooth finish to the wood and the true grain looks awesome. If you put the steel wool into the stain remover it may have caused a chemical reaction which then created the black dark stain.

Borrow a sander, or by hand with the largest grit, to remove the stain, working up to the smallest grit.

Then you can go to using steel-wool from larger to smallest.

Best of luck.

I refinish furniture as a hobby. I had a piece that had a bad stain on it. I used household bleach on it and it went away. It took several applications but I was doing it slow so it wouldn't be lighter than the rest of the wood. One thing though, use gloves. I didn't and my fingers blistered.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJune 30, 2010
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Close up of Steel Wool
Saving Money On Steel Wool