FurnitureCleaning

Steel Wool Left Stains on Wood Table

I am refinishing a dining room table, using a stain remover to lift the stain. The directions called for steel wool, but the steel wool has left dark black stains on the wood. Does any one have a remedy for removing the black stains?

By Jackie from Los Angeles, CA

Not sure how you used the steel wool, but usually it is a plain steel-wool, used in varying sizes going from the heaviest to the lightest as a sanding tool. By sanding with steel-wool, you can get a very smooth finish to the wood and the true grain looks awesome. If you put the steel wool into the stain remover it may have caused a chemical reaction which then created the black dark stain.

Borrow a sander, or by hand with the largest grit, to remove the stain, working up to the smallest grit.

Then you can go to using steel-wool from larger to smallest.

Best of luck.

I refinish furniture as a hobby. I had a piece that had a bad stain on it. I used household bleach on it and it went away. It took several applications but I was doing it slow so it wouldn't be lighter than the rest of the wood. One thing though, use gloves. I didn't and my fingers blistered.