Ruby Tuesday's Mashed Cauliflower

I had Mashed Cauliflower at Ruby Tuesday's and loved them. If any one knows how to make them, I would love to have them for Easter.

Thank you,
Joanne Weaver from Kingston, PA

Hi-I have made this recipe but used the frozen cauliflower and it came out delicious. My neighbor used fresh cauliflower and it took way too long and the taste was not as good. Save yourself some time an opt for frozen.

Happy Eating!

When we were on the Atkins diet, we mashed the cauliflower and made it just like you would mashed potatoes. Just use less of what you normally would or low fat versions of butter/milk.

Here is a recipe for Mashed Cauliflower. Not RT, but good.

Recipe: So Simple Cauliflower Mashed "Potato"

8 Cups cauliflower florets or a small head of cauliflower

1/4 cup Kraft ranch dressing

1 green onion thinly sliced

Bring water to boil in large sauce pan. Add Cauliflower, cook 15 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender. Drain cauliflower, add dressing and mash until cauliflower is light and fluffy. sprinkle with onions. Serve.

http://www.recipezaar.com/110170

My understanding of Atkins is that it requires the consumtption of fat to work correctly. In light of what I just read in the Atkins New Diet Revolution book, it makes perfect sense to use real butter or heavy cream (in fact, one recommendation is to sub heavy cream for milk).

For the best results steam the cauliflower, this method retains the flavor and nutrients. It also keeps the integrity of the cauliflower from being "mushy". After steaming mash and add other ingredients, try feta cheese. Finish by baking in oven until a light golden crust forms. RT is marginal at best.

For the person who substituted Splenda for sugar, thinking it was more healthy - you need to do a little more research - that stuff is deadly!!

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets

1/2 cup water

1 Tbsp corn starch

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 tsp. granulated sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. white pepper

pinch garlic powder

1/8 tsp. onion powder

I've tried them all and I came up with my own recipe that I think is better than all of them and low fat. Just steam a head of cauliflower in very little water - put garlic in the water and when the water is evaporated wait a minute or two till the bottom sticks slightly and it is tender - just mash it with pepper and butter or Smart Balance and it tastes like mashed potatoes with onions.

I just had RT Mashed Cauliflower and it definitely had a touch of nutmeg in it. Can anyone verify this? It was delicious.

I had RT mashed cauliflower yesterday and thought it was absolutely delicious! I've tried to make it myself a number of times and can never get the right consistency. They don't beat or cream like potatoes do...I tried using a blender and that didn't work, tried just mashing with a fork or masher and that didn't work either. How do you all get that consistency?

I made them last night and if it's the same ones your talking about they taste like mashed potatoes. I just steam the cauliflower in the microwave, try to make sure when they are done they don't have as much liquid in them. then you put them in the blender or food processor to texture and add butter or butter spray and roasted garlic. no milk is needed. So good! So good for you too!

The best way I have ever had Cauliflower Mash is to take an onion cut, at least 1 cauliflower cut up and a garlic clove cut up. Boil this til soft and then drain very well. Add some goat cheese or cottage cheese pepper and mash. When it doesn't matter for dietary reason, I will add just a little potato flakes just to make them more firm you will be surprised just a little bit of that potato taste and you will think it's all potato.

If sauces and mashed cauliflower arrive at RT already premade then how do you know what went into the the recipe? Do the list it all on the package?

I made this last night and all I did was cut my cauliflower into florets then boiled them. Then I used my food processor until it was smooth which I poured the mix in a sauce pan and used heavy cream & butter & black pepper and it came out excellent. I love this stuff. My husband and I are watching our diets so this is perfect over pototoes. 8:)

Steam Cauliflower, add some butter, a little cream, handful of grated parmgarlic powderr, sea salt..Mash, bake till golden. NO SUGAR, if you want to sweeten try AGAVE syrup.

I used cream cheese, salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, came out great. Mashed with a manual potato masher. CostCo sells packages of Boursin cheese, garlic & herbs, and others. We'll try this instead next time.

July 22, 2004 Flag

I'm looking for the "copycat" recipe for the delicious mashed cauliflower (like mashed potatoes) from Ruby Tuesdays. It is the best -- you don't even know you're eating cauliflower!

Thanks!
Mary from SC

Answers:
-- 07/23/2004
Vicki (Guest Post)
Ruby Tuesday's Creamy Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients

• 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Description

1. Divide a head of cauliflower into florets that are all roughly the same size. Steam cauliflower pieces over boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Drain the cauliflower and toss it in a bowl of ice water to bring the cooking process to a screeching halt.

2. When the cauliflower has cooled, put the florets in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of water. Puree the cauliflower on high speed until smooth, but with some very small pieces of cauliflower remaining in the mix for just a bit of texture.

3. Pour all of the pureed cauliflower into a medium sauce pan. Dissolve the corn starch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water and add the solution to the cauliflower.

4. Add the cream, salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to the cauliflower and stir. Set the saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thick.
Makes three 3/4-cup servings.

-- 12/07/2004
Ann (Guest Post)
Are you really supposed to put the sugar in this recipe? It isn't mentioned in step 4, (or any of the other steps), and it doesn't seem like it would taste good in this.
-- 12/07/2004
Post by Thrifty_Fun
I think like it would be fine either way. I'd add the sugar when you add the cream and the rest of the ingredients. It isn't a lot of sugar so it would just sweeten the sauce slightly.
Susan from ThriftyFun
-- 12/30/2004
Post by handholder
I think this needs a really large head of cauliflower as I had to cook it over a half hour to thicken. Wonder if cutting down on the water would help.
-- 01/11/2005
(Guest Post)
I've got a better recipe:

Mash together a cooked or steamed head of cauliflower, 1 or so cups of mozzarella, 1/2 or so cups of parm and 1/4 c. heavy cream, 4 oz of cream cheese, and then put it in the food processor. Put this in a casserole dish and top with lots of parm and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour to 45 min. Much better than Ruby's and low carb too. It turns out thick and creamy and better than mashed potatoes.

-- 01/24/2005
Carol (Guest Post)
Spoke with staff of RT in Vero Fl. They indicate that the Cauliflower comes from a box and is not made from scratch. I am inclined to agree given the consistency of theirs. Any comments?
-- 02/08/2005
Guest (Guest Post)
I am doing the LA Weight loss, so I wanted to make sure Ruby's mashed cauliflower was really good for you. I called them, they sell it in a bag, it has 160 cal., 10 grams of fat (that's why they taste so good), 530 mg. of sodium, 30 grams of carbs, and 2 g. of fiber, I got this over the phone from the manager there. It doesn't sound that low-cal, or low-carb to me, you can mix the cooked cauliflower with 2 tbs.. of fat free sour cream or fat free cream cheese, morton light salt, and a few sprays of "i can't believe it's not butter and put in the the food processor, it's pretty good, no fat and low carb. Enjoy!
-- 06/01/2005
(Guest Post)
I am surprised that this mashed cauliflower has the heavy cream and sugar in it. I would have never guessed. I love to get it when I go to RT but I also thought it was "really healthy". Surprise!

-- 06/04/2005
Anon (Guest Post)
I work at Ruby Tuesday, and I must tell you, that the recipe is way off. The recipe is low carb--not low fat, and it does not include sugar. Sorry.
-- 06/30/2005
ROTT (Guest Post)
I also work at RT
I'm a shift leader and I can tell u this, that recipe is not right and I cant tell u exactly what goes in the scratch recipe because it's against policy however I can tell u that there is no sugar or heavy cream in it.

Also almost all RT's buy their mashed cauliflower and sauces pre-made from RT. Rt is a huge corp. and supplies almost all their franchise and corporate stores with everything they need.

It's all about consistency

-- 10/07/2005
Kate (Guest Post)
I use the South Beach Diet recipe for South Beach Mashed Potatoes (which is cauliflower) however I modify it by cooking the cauliflower in low fat chicken broth and flavoring it with I can't believe it's not butter garlic and herb spray. Absolutely delicious!

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat AppetizersApril 13, 2006
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Freezing Cauliflower
Freezing Cauliflower
Mashed potatoes with melting butter on top.
Fixing Runny Mashed Potatoes
Veggie Mash
Cauliflower Mashed Potato Recipes
🎄