Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I seldom use waxed paper. In fact I usually only use it when my husband makes hamburgers on the grill, to layer the raw patties in so they won't stick.

Instead of buying waxed paper just for this use, I save the waxy bags that line the cereal boxes. When I empty the box, I open the bag along the seam and roll it over a tube in an old waxed paper box and put in the drawer.

I never pay for it, and we always have it.

By mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Helen Hord08/26/2009

I use cereal liners when setting out Christmas wreath cookies as they are so sticky.

By Gwendolen Potter [12]08/25/2009

This is fine as long as you do not microwave the bags because they are made of plastic.

By kathleen williams [23]08/25/2009

I also use cereal liners all the time,I cut it into pieces to cover the food we heat in mircrowave. I have not bought wax paper in a long time. It pays to save everything you can, good luck.

By Sue05/19/2009

I discovered another use for the cereal liners just last night. If you make your own sushi, the liner makes a much better cover for the sushi mat than plastic wrap. Just cut the edges so it lies flat on the mat. It is easily washable to use again and again!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I don't use very much waxed paper-usually just for crafts or to make hamburgers on for the grill, so I don't like buying it. What I have been doing is saving the wax coated bags inside the cereal boxes. When I do need wax paper, I just grab one of those bags out of the drawer. Saves me several dollars a year.

By April from NW Missouri

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

(format_html) Joes girl sent in a tip about using the liner of a cereal box for a freezer bag. I use those liners instead of waxed paper. First I tear the liner at the seams, then wash and dry thoroughly. To store freshly baked cookies, I use the liner in my plastic ware, putting a layer between cookies and folding (accordion style) to the next layer up. These liners also work well as a table cover when crafting (instead of newspaper under messy projects). Wadded up cereal liners make great packaging when mailing or wrapping gifts.

By Wordyblue

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

After I finish cereal, I take out the wax paper from in the cereal box. I wipe it out real good. I save it for storing leftovers, packing a sandwich in, etc. This saves me from having to buy wax paper.

Cynthia (10/28/2004)

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Uses for cereal wax paper bags. I put flour and chicken pieces in them and shake to coat. Also use for left over homemade bread and rolls. (10/28/2004)

By GayCarolyn

Using Cereal Box Liners

Take the inner liners from cereal boxes, wipe off the cereal "dust", cut them in strips and put them between cookies, meal patties or chicken pieces to freeze. That way they separate easily when you only want a few. It stays crisp in the freezer and the quality of the liner is great. By Grannie Annie (10/29/2004)

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I use my cereal packets for all kinds of stuff and this year I cut circles out of them to put in the top of my jam (10/29/2004)

By UK Anne

Reusing Cereal Liners

I save the plastic liners from cereal boxes to use instead of wax paper. Just carefully open the bag down the seams and wipe off with a cloth. I fold them and store them in a drawer. They are great for baking, crafts, etc. I like them better than wax paper because they lay flat and are usually a little heavier.

By Melinda (01/15/2005)

A Replacement for Wax Paper

A great tip to save money on wax paper: a cheap alternative is the use the plastic bags that cereal comes in (in the boxes). Just separate along the seams and wash! I haven't purchased wax paper for 15 years and the plastic cereal bags are actually heavier than wax paper and work better!

By Kelly Wakefield (02/28/2005)

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Cereal liners are sprayed with pesticides. I'm not sure even washing them thoroughly would remove it! I would strongly caution against using them for any kind of food storage! (07/03/2005)

By Sharon

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

Save the wax paper from inside your cereal boxes to freeze foods. I use two for each item and tape it shut. Foods keep very well.

By Angela from Defuniak Springs, FL (12/30/2005)

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I been doing this too and I save them up. I usually have a need and a big need when I need them. I store them in the big Ziplock bags, they are compact after you zip it up to one corner before you close it all the way just stick a straw in one corner and suck out the air. Another method is to put a heavy book on it and then puff the air out of the edges as you zip all the way up. (01/22/2008)

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

I haven't seen waxed paper cereal bags in years. I do save the heavy plastic ones though. They're great for freezer bags or just about anything. (01/23/2008)

By Katie A.

RE: Use Cereal Liner as Wax Paper

So if cereal liners are sprayed with pesticides, why are they being used to hold cereal? So my kids are eating pesticides with their Cheerios? That comment from sharon makes no sense to me. I've been using the liners for years to cover my homemade preserves and to hold my kids packed lunches. if they are good enough to hold cereal, they are good enough to be recycled for other things! (07/30/2008)

By cett

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.