AppliancesCleaning

Removing a Burned Smell in the Refrigerator

Category Appliances

We had a tree fall on our power/phone lines from hurricane Irene, sparks came out of the walls sockets. We found out the next morning a 220 line fell on the 110 line and phone line. Everything upstairs and down on one side of the house went dead, but I also smelled smoke coming from my new refrigerator.

When I checked I didn't see any fire, but the smoke was bad. When I called a repairman he said he could fix it, but didn't know how to get rid of the burned odor. I tried the charcoal, no luck. The smell is also in the freezer section and the kitchen. Any other suggestions? I will try the lemon and vinegar, but was hoping for some other ideas just in case these don't help.

Thank you in advance.

By Ruth S.

Try used coffee grounds.

Putting charcoal briquets and/or crumpled up newspapers in the refrigerator will help. Boxes of baking soda help too. I've heard used coffee grounds help. Also, one time when I had a rental house refrigerator full of spoiled food, I just wiped all of the sides with bleach and left the fridge door open for a few days. It took care of the bad smell. Good luck!

I heard that wiping down the inside with pure vanilla extract kills odors. I assume you wipe it on, leave it awhile, then wash it off. Pure vanilla is expensive, but you could probably do the whole fridge with a 4 oz. bottle by moistening a cloth with the vanilla & then running the cloth over the surfaces. Close the door and leave a few hours. I heard it works great. Buy the vanilla in the section where the Hispanic spices & seasonings are sold - these brands are much cheaper than the usual name brands.