Anyone Know the Starter for Amish Friendship Bread Recipe?

I am looking for the recipe for the starter for friendship bread. You know, the one you feed everyday, then pass starters off to your friends and they do the same and on and on. I love this and it's fun. Then on a certain day after feeding it, you add more ingredients and make loaves of bread! The one I used to have makes like a cinnamon bread. Does anybody know what I am talking about? I would appreciate it!

By Ann from OH

Best Answer

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

"Yeast, sugar, milk and flour ferment to make starter for sweet bread. Because the recipe produces so much starter, give some away to friends."

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45

degrees C)3 cups all-purpose flour, divided

3 cups white sugar, divided

3 cups milk

1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.

2.On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.

3.Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).

Overall, this bread has so many calories that I personally cannot eat this.

You can go to this website and put in cinnamon Amish Friendship bread and you will get the recipe

How funny, I just found this recipe again yesterday in some of my stuff & thought I'd have to make some of the yummy stuff since it's been awhile! If you look in the archives beneath your posted question, you'll see the recipe someone posted.

The recipe I have is from Robin Hood Flour. It's exactly what you are looking for. Its called Sherwood. If you go to the website. RobinHood Flour/Sherwood, it will give you the recipe for the starter as well as different things you can make with it. I don't know if this is Amish or not but it is a friendship bread that you have to feed everyday . The recipe I make the most is the coffee cake. Hope this helps.

Loaf of bread with rolling pin on white background
Amish Friendship Bread Starter
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsJune 24, 2010
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Amish Peanut Butter Church Spread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
sourdough starter
Sourdough Starter Recipes
White Bread
Amish White Bread Recipes