How Can I Stop My Jeans from Bleeding in the Wash?

I have very dark jeans that continually bleed. I wash them alone in hot water to try to release some color. I've done this 5 times already and nothing is working. I don't want to keep the original very dark color; I want them to fade and stop releasing color. Is there something I can add to the wash cycle to break this down and stop my problem?

By Christina from Easton, PA

I wash dark colors together, dark jeans with blacks. If dark blue bleeds onto black, it's no big deal.

If you want to fade your jeans, here is a link to an old ThriftyFun thread. Rit made a product called Fast Fade, but apparently they've discontinued it. The thread offers some alternate ideas:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf88210828.tip.html

I don't know if this will help, but to "set" the color of clothing before you wear them, wash them with 1 cup of salt.

There's a lot of info on this site about setting colors. So I was thinking that maybe that's what you need to do to stop the bleeding.

Actually I think you're lucky! Not to diminish the pain that it sounds like it is though. I'd wash them with dark clothes like mrs. story suggested.

Also, have you tried washing your jeans with other clothes using cold water only? Sometimes that helps bleeding.

Good luck. Hope the salt trick works.

If you want them to fade faster, wash them with some bleach.

I was just going to say exactly what "metroplex" had said. Salt will do the trick. Good answer metroplex.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 19, 2010
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
🎄