Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding

Category Home Remedies
There are many home remedies to control bleeding of superficial wounds. This guide is about how to stop a superficial wound from bleeding.

I use styptic powder to stop bleeding instantly. Once while scratching my ankle, I accidentally nicked the vein and started bleeding profusely. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop because it was in a difficult place to reach. Desperate and thinking I had to go to the emergency room ($) to get it to stop, I then remembered the powder I sprinkle on my dog's toes after nicking them with the clipper.

I got it out and sprinkled it on my ankle. It stung for just a second but the bleeding stopped instantly. From now on my first aid kit will have systolic power in it. The power can be purchase at any pet supply store or online pet store. Check with your doctor first before using it on a child or if you have a medical condition that might be aggravated by using the powder. It saved me a lot of money.

By Gloria Z from Hoffman Estates, IL

I discovered baking soda works great to stop bleeding of small knicks when you don't have a band-aid or don't want one. I had a knick on my hand that kept bleeding. I blotted and lightly covered it with baking soda. After lightly rubbed back and forth the baking soda totally stopped the bleeding. Who knew?

By Pamela Rochelle Woodworth from Sun Lakes, AZ

It's amazing how many people nick the vein in their ankle while scratching themselves and then can't stop the bleeding. That happened to me too. I was panic strickened and not able to stop it by applying direct pressure (there was a lot of blood gushing out). I had visions of having to rush to the ER for help I remembered what I do for my dogs. I got the "quick stop powder" I use when I cut their nails and nick their "quick". I sprinkled the powder on the nick. It burned for a second or two and then stopped bleeding.

My suggestion to anyone whether they own a pet or not is this. Go to a pet store and buy this powder, keep it in your first aid kit or medicine cabinet. Better safe then sorry and a lot cheaper than a ER bill.

Dab on some ChapStick if you nick yourself and the bleeding will stop, works great for legs and face.

By Chrystal

For superficial wounds that bleed, to quickly stop the bleeding after washing the area, use a cotton swab and dip in petroleum jelly (Vaseline) to wipe thickly over the bleeding area. I am told by my husband that boxers use petroleum jelly to stop their bleeding wounds so they can continue in the ring.

I was playing with my puppy and accidentally one of his sharp teeth scratched me and bleeding started and I couldn't stop it easily. My husband said to use the Vaseline. A scab soon formed and the Vaseline was wiped off. No more bleeding either.

By Lorelei from Georgetown, OH

This tip is for stopping bleeding on a small cut. Pour black pepper into the sore and spread. It will not burn and stops the bleeding

By Anne from Fernley, NV