Growing Bleeding Heart

Category Flowers
It's easy to see how the bleeding heart plant got its name. This plant is a beautiful addition to a garden in partial to full shade with moist, well-drained soil. This guide is about how to care for bleeding heart flowering plants.

The old-fashioned bleeding heart has been a favorite flower for generations of gardeners. In fact, your mother or grandmother probably had bleeding hearts growing in their gardens. A perfect perennial for the shade. Its long arching stems of elegant, heart-shaped flowers dangle gracefully over mounds of dark, blue-green leaves. If you're considering adding this spring blooming beauty to your garden this year, here are some tips for growing them.

How Bleeding Hearts Got Their Name

One look at bleeding hearts' flowers will tell you how these plants got their name. The pink or white-colored flowers are shaped like hearts with small drops of blood at the tips. These popular ornamental flowers have collected many common names throughout their long history. Some gardeners know them as 'Lady's locket', 'Lyre-flowers', 'Venus's car', 'Valentine flowers', 'Dutchman's breeches', or 'Naked lady-in-the-bath'. (Psst: If you turn a flower upside-down and gently pull the sides apart you'll expose the lady sitting in her bath.)

Growing Facts

Bleeding hearts are easy-to-grow and once established offer an abundance of low-maintenance color season after season.

Common name: Bleeding heart (Dicentra spectabilis).
Hardiness: Zones 2 to 9.
Bloom time: Late spring to early summer. Flowers will stay in bloom for several weeks, but plants generally go dormant by mid-summer. Fringed-leaf varieties have longer-lasting foliage and may repeat blooming throughout the summer.

Flowers: Racemes of heart-shaped flowers in pink, white, cherry, or red; and white inner petals that appear to "bleed" from the tip.
Foliage: Dark blue-green; heavily lobed or lacy and fern-like. The foliage dies back after flowering.
Height/spread: 24-36 inches tall; 36 inches wide.

Site: Tailor made for shade gardens. Prefers partial to full shade. Will tolerate more sun as long as the soil remains moist.
Soil: Moist, fertile, and well-draining.
Planting: Potted plants can be planted anytime during the growing season. Handle the roots carefully as they are brittle and will break off easily. Unless fresh, the seeds can be difficult to germinate. Plant them in the spring after the danger of frost passes, or allow to self-seed in the fall.

Maintenance: No pruning or dead-heading required. Trim back foliage once it starts to decline.
Watering: Keep plants well watered throughout the summer, especially during dry periods.

Propagation: By seeds, cuttings, or division. Division is easiest and can be done every 2-3 years using a sharp spade. Divide plants in early spring, or as soon as the foliage dies back.
Popular cultivars: 'Alba' grows 2-3 feet tall with white flowers; 'Goldenheart' grows 2-3 feet tall with pink flowers and golden yellow foliage.

Tips for Maximizing Performance

Can I move my bleeding heart plant now? I'd like to plant it in a different spot.

By Sheri from UT

Answers

You should be able to. Just be sure you dig deep and wide so as not to disturb the roots any more than necessary.

Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I live next to a stream that comes down the mountain and empties into the lake across the street. We have a garden along the bank and every season is just so beautiful there.

By Toni

Bleeding Hearts

Comment Like this photo? 23

Photo Description
This is a picture of my bleeding hearts in my garden. A neighbor of mine let me dig them and other nice perennials up from her yard because she didn't want to deal with all of the flowers and plants in her yard. All I can say is I'll be more than happy to deal with them. This is my 3rd spring with all of her plants and it gets better every year.

Comment Like this photo? 5

I couldn't resist showing off my lovely bleeding heart this spring - it has been loaded with blooms!

By Barbara from Liberal, MO

Bleeding Heart bush

Comment Like this photo? 4