Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light

Category Repair
Fluorescent ceiling lights can go out for a number of reasons. This is a guide about fixing a fluorescent ceiling light.

My room tubelight switched off abruptly one day. I even tried changing the tube and even the starter, but it still isn't working. I suspect a loose electrical connection inside. What can I do to repair it myself? Please help.

By Archit from Bangalore, Karnataka

Best Answer

First make sure by using the tube in another fixture to see if it works, than do the same with the starter. In case both of them work properly in another fixture then you either have a loose connection or the ballast of the fixture is gone faulty.

Best way to check and repair is replace the three components one by one in a working fixture.

Make sure to disconnect from power before changing anything.

Best Answer

You might have a bad fuse. That is what was wrong with mine.

The fluorescent light in my kitchen does not light when I put the switch in the "on" position. When I put the switch in the "off" position and put a black (hot) insulated wire on the terminal screws, the light was on. I replaced the switch, but the light did not operate, what might be wrong?

By Joey from Salem

My fluorescent kitchen light works, sometimes.

By Brooksr from Fayetteville, NC

Not knowing one thing about electricity and wiring, I have run into a problem. I have a fluorescent light ceiling fixture that both tubes have gone bad at the same time, or there is some other problem that I know nothing about. I have checked my circuit breakers and that's not the problem. Can someone help.

Answers:

Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light

It is probably something called a ballast. This is a part that someone with some electrical skill can change, but it is a little more complicated than changing a bulb. (08/21/2004)

By Linda

Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light

It could be the ballast, but if one of the tubes goes bad in many / most cases they will both go out. I'd suggest changing the tubes first and see what happens; most likely that will solve your problem and it's a lot less trouble than changing the ballast. (08/25/2004)

By Alph