Ways to Use Up Leftovers

Here are some strategies for leftovers:

1) For pasta leftovers, like spaghetti, beat with eggs and cheese for Shipwreck. It doesn't take much pasta to make a meal of this.

2) For a small amount of leftover meat, chop it fine and make Egg Foo Young. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Beat 3 eggs until thick and lemon-colored. Heat oil in large skillet. Beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Stir in 1 cup bean sprouts, 1/2 cup chopped, cooked meat, 2 tablespoons onion and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Pour 1/4 cup mixture at a time into small skillet. With broad spatula, push cooked egg up over meat to form a patty. When patties are set, turn to brown other side. Serve hot with gravy or sauce.

3) Keep an ice cream bucket or plastic coffee can in the freezer and add leftover veggies. You can also add leftover meat. When the bucket is full, thaw it out and dump it in the Crockpot for a delicious soup.

4) Larger amounts of leftover meat can be ground up to make meat salad. Add mayonnaise, mustard, relish and hard-boiled eggs to taste.

Source: Egg Foo Young recipe is from Cooks.com. My mom made the Shipwreck for us growing up. All the rest are from my own experience.

By Camilla from Atchison, KS

So for the shipwreck, do you scramble it all together?

Yes, you do scramble the pasta and eggs together. I guess I've been making this for so long, I don't think about the specific steps. Sorry!

Camilla

I try to make thing that can be turned into something else with little effort. For example, after I make chicken or turkey soup and we're all tired of that I thicken it up and put it in a pie crust for pot pie. Or, after I make chicken tacos and pinto beans I use the broth from the chicken, which consists of tomatoes, onion, garlic,several different kinds of peppers, cilontro, and lime, for the base to chili. I just brown some meat and throw in my beans from before and some homony, and I have chili! Leftover chili is about the easiest leftover to use up. You can do chili dogs, chili with eggs for breakfast, or chili cream cheese dip. Pour warm chili on the top of cream cheese and top off with cheddar cheese. You'll probably already have the cheese from your chili dinner. Hope this was helpful to someone.

I use the food processor with my chicken or turkey leftovers. Than I use that with lasagna or cannelloni. And you can freeze until you want to do this

Take Out Containers in Refrigerator
Using Leftovers
Food and Recipes Food Tips LeftoversDecember 28, 2007
Refrigerator With Leftovers in Tupperware
Organizing Leftovers
Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich
Using Thanksgiving Leftovers
Dish of mashed potatoes.
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Keeping Track of Leftovers
🎉
🎄