Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Kentucky Style Fried Chicken

Found this at "The Cooking Nook".

Ingredients

• 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
  • 2 - 3 eggs, beaten
  • 3 - 4 Tbsp. oil for frying

Coating Mixture:

• 2 cups flour
  • 4 tsp. paprika
  • 2 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. tarragon
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 t. onion salt
  • 1/2 tsp. celery salt

Directions

Mix together all the coating ingredients and place in a clean plastic bag. Dip each piece into beaten egg, then into the flour mixture in the bag. Coat the chicken completely with the flour mixture.

Place the oil in a skillet and heat. Brown the chicken in oil slowly (225 degrees F, if you are using an electric skillet), uncovered. Cover the skillet and continue to fry at a very low heat until the chicken is fully cooked, approximately 1 hour.
Drain well on paper towels.

Tips and Variations:

This recipe can be prepared using a deep fryer and is actually perfect for the fryer. Follow the directions on your fryer. Make sure your oil is hot before adding the chicken. The chicken shouldn't be greasy when it is cooked in hot oil, but if the oil is cool, it will absorb the grease.

By redskin. from Brockville, Ont., Can.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

I would like the recipe for Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Archive: Kentucky Fried Chicken

I would like the Kentucky Fried Chicken recipe.

Thank you,
Momma Sweeta from Pensacola, FL

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

Use CAKE flour. (10/11/2008)

By JD

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

So you all worked at KFC, I did too and got some mixed out, took it home and had burnt fried chicken. You need the big pressure fryer to make the chicken. Furthermore, I mixed the chicken with salt and pepper with the bag flour and it tasted good without the so called secret ingredients. He he (11/15/2008)

By loser

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

I was a Salad Lady at Kentucky Fried during 1977 and 1978. We made all of the sides from scratch. The cole slaw didn't have buttermilk in it. (11/21/2008)

By Terri

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

You have to put chicken pieces in water for 7 hours before you go ahead. (11/21/2008)

By Sunny S.

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

I don't know about you guys but up here in Canada, the KFC tastes like it's 10 spices short. I remember back in the 70's it was umm finger lickin' good but you don't get that taste anymore. (12/02/2008)

By Dave

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

There are several very good variations of KFC chicken recipes at easykfcrecipes.com. (01/01/2009)

By Lici

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

I would like everyone that is talking about the chicken being marinated overnight to know that it is marinated. Not overnight though. I worked for the company that KFC gets their chicken from, the chicken is injected with herbs and spices. Needless to say no one was allowed in the room that housed the "secret ingredients". It was all done by two people, one that worked the morning shift and one that worked the evening shift. (02/15/2009)

By Lynn2728

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

Hey you can go to KFC home town, Corbin, Kentucky, and see where it all started. The recipe was bought by Mr Sanders himself from a black lady that lived in Corbin. He hired her to work for him. The recipe is in a glass case there at the store. The first KFC of it's kind and is still serving food there. How do I know? I am from there. (02/28/2009)

By P.M.

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

Well, I can tell you all for a fact that KFC does not marinate chicken overnight. They only marinate the chicken used for extra crispy and it's done for no more than one hour. I also don't believe that the secret herbs and spices are "injected" directly into the chicken, that just makes no sense at all. The secret herbs and spices are in the flour used to coat the chicken. I spent 8 years managing one and have some pretty intimate knowledge of how things are done. (05/06/2009)

By wildbill24

Archive: Kentucky Fried Chicken

Ingredients

• 3 lb. chicken, cut up
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cup milk

Directions

Boil chicken in 2 tsp. salted water, covered. Save broth and drain and cool chicken. Brown flour in 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes. Mix flour with remaining ingredients. Dip chicken in batter and fry in deep fat at 375 degrees F.

By Robin from Washington, IA

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken

I think 2 tsp. salted water must be a typo (or I'm misunderstanding). How much water? (02/26/2007)

By payrollgenius

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

Use CAKE flour. (10/11/2008)

By jd

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

So you all worked at KFC, I did too and got some mixed out took it home and had burnt fried chicken. You need the big pressure fryer to make the chicken, and further more I mixed the chicken with salt and pepper with the bag flour and it tasted good without the so called secret ingredients. He he (11/15/2008)

By loser

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

By Terri

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

You have to put chicken piece in water for 7 hours before you go ahead. (11/21/2008)

By Sunny S.

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

I don't know about you guys but up here in Canada the KFC tastes like its 10 spices short. I remember back in the 70's it was umm finger lickin' good but you don't get that taste anymore. (12/02/2008)

By Dave

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

By Lici

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

I would like everyone that is talking about the chicken being marinated over night to know that it is marinated. Not over night tho, I worked for the company that KFC gets there chicken from the chicken is injected with herbs and spices. Needless to say no one was allowed in the room that housed the "secret ingredients". It was all done by two people, one that worked the morning shift and one that worked the evening shift. (02/15/2009)

By Lynn2728

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

Hey you can go to KFC home town. Corbin Kentucky and see where it all started, the recipe was bought by Mr Sanders himself from a black lady that lived in Corbin he hired her to work for him. The recipe is in a glass case there at the store. The first KFC of it's kind and is still serving food there. How do I know I am from there. (02/28/2009)

By P.M.

RE: Kentucky Fried Chicken Recipe

By wildbill24