Is Mulch Too Hot for Seeds?

Does mulch heat up as it cooks down? Wouldn't that kill the plant seeds if sown right away?

By ML

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I would think you wouldn't want to mulch until the seeds sprout up. Mulch is used to keep weeds out, so I would think it would keep your sprouts from sprouting!

I'm sure the mulch may give off heat as it decays but probably not enough to kill the seed. I just think the tender sprouts won't have much of a chance with the mulch on top of them, holding them down.

Home and Garden Gardening MulchMay 19, 2011
Raking Mulch
Best Mulch for Repelling Bugs
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
wagon of mulch
When to Avoid Using Mulch
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 29, 2017 at 7:20:18 PM on 10.0.1.97 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.