Purchase Generic Over the Counter Medications

contest winner icon

I work for a factory that packages medications. My specific line is Loratadine, which is the exact composition as Claritin. There really is no difference between the Claritin, Wal-Mart's Equate version, Target's Up and Up version, or CVS's Allergy Relief version. Literally, when we finish one order, we scrub the entire line, disinfect EVERYTHING with a strong alcohol solution, and we use the same pills in different packaging.

So get generic whenever possible. It will really save on medication costs and there is no difference.

By JSRP from NE

I've seen that in quite a few different generic products, and even in food, might as well save some of your money. Hi neighbor, from NE too.

Back in my sighted days, I sometimes went down ingredient lists, line by line, comparing name-brand with generic. They were invariably identical. You might get a bit more "filler" with generics, but the rest is the same. Wish hubby would understand that! Brand loyalty is nice, but not when your budget is so tight!

Well I disagree because there has to be something different or the brand names could sue for copying them. It made not be much, but something is different and what the off brand doesn't have could be what you need. My sister in law found that out the hard way. Her doctor put her on a brand medicine and one of her other doctors told her to stop taking that and start the generic brand Well she ended up in the ER and her regular doctor was upset because she needed that brand name medicine so she put her back on it and she was fine.

I'm a retired doctor in the UK. Over here, we switched to generics some years ago in order to make health funding go further. We found that, provided a full explanation was given to our patients, there were no problems with switching.

There are a few classes of drugs that should not be routinely swapped from brands to generics (due to possible small but significant differences in bio-availability); for example, some anti-convulsants and some preparations used to prevent organ transplant rejection.

Teresa Kay makes the point that there must be some difference between brands and generics, otherwise there would be legal action. Actually, this is not the case as generics can only be manufactured and sold legally once the patent on the original branded drug has expired.

Now I'm on the receiving end of health care (rather than providing it) and I have not the slightest qualm about taking generic preparations!

This might work for people that aren't on medicare part D or don't have insurance coverage, otherwise in most cases the co-pay would be less than the over the counter price.

I think some can be interchangeable but I have found generic vitamins really upset my stomach where as the name brand did not. I was told that the "main" ingredients are the same but the fillers may be different and that is what was upsetting my stomach. Curious though if the ingredients are the same why do you have to scrub the entire line, disinfect everything with a strong alcohol solution, if the pills are the same? What is the reasoning?

Right, exactly about generic, when the drug is in the patent, no generic being made for it, when the patent is ended, generic is available then.

About the Claritin generic version, where I am in Michigan here, my doctor did find that the generic of Claritin did help me a lot, and he told me to take one a day to keep the congestion in the chest cleared, which it does. Also I saw with Walgreen and Rite Aid often have B1G1 free generic of their versions, probably others are doing that also, so when I see it on sale, I try to keep ahead with it since most of the bottles around here are only for a month, and they may not put those sales out if they consider some of the months are not bad allergy months. As it is for me right now, with the ads, the bottles are about $3.50 for 30. Does anyone know how much different it is with the cost of Claritin and the generic right now?

I agree with purchasing generic. It is probably the single best way to immediately save money on your meds. Since I do not have health insurance, I buy generic and use a discount drug card that I get from medicationcoupons.com. Saves me money every time.

Also, don't forget to also shop around. You would be amazed to find out the huge price differences that exist between the same 2 medicines at different pharmacies.

Saving Money on Medicine
Saving Money on Medicine
Health & Beauty Prescription DrugsOctober 26, 2010
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
Generic and Name Brand Tomato Sauce
Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand
🎉
🎄