Getting Rid of a Cowlick

I have a cowlick in the front of my head and I can't get it to go down. Some nights I wear a head band or something while I sleep or I blow dry it down. But it either sticks up by the end of the day or it just doesn't go all the way down. I have tried hairspray and it doesn't work. Does anyone know what else I can try? Thank you.

By codie

I don't think you can do much except try to part your hair differently. I have a similar sort of thing in my hair as well and I just live with it.

This is what explanation I found on it, maybe it will help. You could wear headbands more often (cloth ones that will hold your hair down longer to tame it, honestly though, I think your hair and style looks nice. good luck.

http://en.wikip  org/wiki/Cowlick

That is not what I would call a cowlick. It is more how your hair is styled. If you don't like it change the hair style.

You can't get rid of a cow-lick, however, you can go to a good stylist and have them cut your hair so that it works with the cow-lick. Maybe they could cut the top so you would have bangs. Sometimes if the hair is longer, the weight of the hair will hold down the cow-lick. I would at least start by asking a good hair stylist. Hope this information helps you.

My hair dresser told me that u can "train" your hair by blow drying it in the direction you want it to grow. I think you have to do it everyday for a while. I tried it on my daughter and it mostly worked but she's young and not crazy about the dryer. She was born with a cowlick right in the front just like yours. Hope this helps :-)

Anonymous

Personally, I think your hairline is wonderful and unique! Leave it be and wear it as a badge of individuality with honor! Your hairstyle is lovely! If you want a change, switch sides or even cut a few inches of length off.

I was a hairstylist for thirty years and I will tell you that if you cut bangs you're going to go crazy trying to tame that area because the bangs will separate and 'pop up' in that area and look goofy!

Codie -

I think your cowlick is darling - but maybe some time w/ a good stylist would convince you, too. Trust me, the more you fight it, the more it will take over your thoughts and distract you from the rest of life. I have always had curly hair and fought it for 30 of my 50+years - finally I gave in and now have people admiring my curls and wishing they had them too. I too, have a cowlick in front and use it to add height and keep hair off my forehead. Find a sytlist who will listen to you and work with you, ok?

I have one like this too and I use it to my full advantage (I let it have its way) and style around it. It is what makes us unique, instead of fighting it, go with it with a new style or a new stylist who can work with it and you. Good Luck and thanks for showing us what your up against. Keep us informed on what you end up doing, ok?

This is always the case; grass is greener on the other side. I have a cowlick and straight hair; I always wanted curls. As I got older, I realized I can't fight it; just go with it. My Mother didn't have a cowlick, but she always talked about how she loved her Mother's (my grandmother) cowlick and how her hair laid so well. Your hair looks great as it is. Don't fight it.

You look like you could be a model. Enjoy the cowlick, it sets you apart as a unique individual.

Blessings, Racer

I agree about accepting the cowlick. It adds some height to your hairdo, instead of it just hanging limp. My hair just hangs limp in front, no matter what I do with it. I have a cowlick in the back, crown area, that since I have got older and my hair has got thinner, doesn't work real well with a spot on each side of it. There isn't enough hair on each side to blend in with it.

Speaking of curls, my 44 year old daughter never had curly hair in her life, until the last few years.

First, yours is cute and gives your face character. Mine is the same, but on the right side. Drove my mom crazy! : P My stylist said that movie stars often have distinctive hairstyles because of cowlicks & unusual hairlines. Learn to love it, and make it your beauty trademark.

When I wear bangs, I have them cut extra deep on my crown to lend enough weight to tame the cowlick. I style the bangs first after shampooing. When blowdrying the cowlick area, concentrate the airflow in the direction you want the hair to lay while directing the hair in the right direction while making little zig-zag motions over the roots. (Like putting on thick mascara) This sounds complicated, but doing so redirects the hair follicles to blend the cowlick into your hairline. After the area is dry, spray hairspray lightly on your hairbrush, then comb it through your entire bangs area to set the style. This technique also works to tame a cowlick that has not been cut into bangs.

When your cowlick is under control, complete styling the rest of your hair to blend it in even more -- or tease it up to accent it! Attitude, not perfection, is the difference between stylin' and crying.

Find a good hair stylist. I am from China.

I know how you feel, I have the STRONGEST cowlick in the same place you do, I cant even get side bangs.

I think you try to modify you current method (headband). First dampen it, just use wet comb or fingers and brush through that area (aim wetting the hair roots) and then spread the water evenly within that area. You shouldn't wet it so much that the water drips.