Skunk in My Garage

Yesterday I discovered a skunk in my garage. I immediately took action to remove him/her with the use of water from the hose. I sprayed and it sprayed. The skunk left the garage and now I have the spray absorbed into the concrete and boxes that were on the floor. Any thoughts? I realize I have to discard the boxes, but concerned about getting the smell out of the concrete floor. This is not the only skunk, there are others around and I'm always on the lookout, must have sneaked in during the early morning hours when I pulled the car out of the garage. We live in a residential area.

David from San Antonio, TX

Best Answer

YUCK!!!! I don't envy you...but then we get skunks spraying up here as well.

Try scrubbing the concrete area with some tomato sauce or lemon juice. The boxes are a lost cause.

Also call Animal Control in Bexar county to see if they can help relocate the family.

Best Answer

WE used Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a little liquid dishwashing detergent on our sprayed dog and it worked perfectly. Maybe it would work on the concrete as well.

Best Answer

Call a vet and ask for a bottle of Skunk-Off. This actually neutralizes the chemicals in the skunk spray rather than covering it up. Good luck. I just put three big boxes of moth balls under my garden shed because there was a skunk living under there and sprayed my dog every chance it got. Of course the stupid dog never learns :)

A skunk sprayed underneath the cab of my son's truck, it was awful. I had some odor neutralizer airfreshener Airwick or Glade will do. Spray the area really well & close the door. Will probably take a can or two. Wait about 20-30 mins and air out, should get rid of the odor. Might have to repeat a time or two. Good Luck

We live in rural WI & wish we were less familiar with skunks. The ingredient that makes tomato or lemon juice work on skunk odor is acetic acid. Plain old white vinegar has that & works well on most everything, including the dog! I really don't know how well it would work on your boxes. I'm inclined to think that the commercial pet odor remover available at pet stores (& Walmart) would be your best bet for those.

Jerry Baker has a Garden Tonic that claims to be to remove skunk odors which can be made at home.

Don't know how well it works, but he's onLine. I'll bet he just might tell you if you contact him? God bless you. : )

I would use white vinegar, mix with some hot water and a little dish soap (optional) and scrub the floor with a brush or hard broom.

The vinegar neutralizes tons of odors. You can even leave a bowl or two in the garage overnight to absorb odors. Its cheap $1.89 for a gallon and you can use it to clean practically anything. It is a great disinfectant. Plus the 'vinegar' smell goes away fairly quick.

The absolute BEST skunk deodorizer is a product called Orange Guard. It is a natural product made of distilled orange peel. We use it to keep the flies off of our mules. One night we had a skunk spray one of the dogs just outside of our bedroom window. Out of desperation we tried the orange guard. It worked immediately. Spray it straight, undiluted, on your pet or an area sprayed by the skunk and the ordor is immediately eliminated. There is no residual odor. Our dog likes water and when he took to the pool the next day there still was no skunk odor. We also sprayed it on the concrete where the skunk got some additional spray and it instantly eliminated the odor. Doesn't take much spray either. Try it, look it up on the net, it is very inexpensive.

Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 2, 2007
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎉
🎄