Phoenix (Paint/Tennessee Walker)

Phoenix is 7 Months old. She is a Paint/Tennessee Walker. The story of how Phoenix entered my life reminds me of the mythical bird that she is named after, a bird that rises from funeral ashes more beautiful than ever, ready to live another long life.

On October 21st, 2009, I had to make the most painful decision of my life, humanely sending my childhood horse (and best friend), Si, into the next life. At 32 years old, she had been my faithful friend, quiet listener, keeper of secrets, and shoulder to lean on since I was 4 years old (I'm 22 now). She passed very quietly, on a warm sunny day, with her head in my arms.

A few weeks later, I was telling a fellow classmate of mine about Si's passing, and I (naturally) was still feeling the effects of my loss. He told me that he had just the thing to cheer me up- a 5 month old Paint/Tennessee Walker filly. His mare gave birth to her that summer, and was looking for a new home for her. I wasn't quite sure if I should get another horse so soon, but I went to look at her anyways.

I'll never forget that day. I was standing in the pouring rain, soaked to the bone, when my little golden baby came running out of the horse shelter. So youthful and full of life. One look at that fiery little soul, and I knew that she was meant to be my new friend. As the old saying goes, "When God closes a door, he opens a window."

When I got her home, I was still debating about naming her Phoenix- the deciding factor was when I noticed a distinct white marking on her neck, which looks just like a bird in flight.

While I will never replace Si in my heart, this special little girl is all ready leaving an impression on my soul. Together we are enjoying a wonderful journey together- each day I gain a little more of her trust, and in return I give her even more kisses and scratches on the neck.

I have great faith that Phoenix will be another friend of a lifetime. Perhaps, one that will last another 30 years.

By Stacey from Dorr, MI

Here is a post from last year about Si:

Oh how I envy you! It sounds as if Si was a very special horse, and that Phoenix will be too. I have always wanted to have a horse that I could love and have in my life, but unfortunately I've never been in a position to do that. I wish you and Phoenix many many years together with a closeness to rival what you had with Si.

What an awesome former classmate to give you Phoenix! Very sorry for your loss of Si but Si is still eating, sleeping, walking and running with Phoenix in spirit :-)

I am so very sorry for your loss of the magnificent Si. But I think that you did the right thing in giving your love to the beautiful Phoenix. She can never take Si's place, but she will make a wonderful place of her own. And she will help to mend your broken heart.

brown filly
Filly Photos
Pets Pet PagesFebruary 16, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Walker Grips
Adding Padding to Walker Grips
A girl taking an online course using her laptop.
University of Phoenix Online Reviews
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Tennessee Christmas Charities
🎉
🎄