Switch Burners When Simmering

This is a tip for when you are cooking something that needs to be brought to the boil and then simmered for a period of time. If you are using an electric stove, you know that it takes considerable time to cool down that burner so that the simmering can begin. To avoid the wait, and possible boiling over, just turn on another burner (of the same size) on "low" and transfer your boiling pot to it. Turn off the original burner, of course. No more boiled over sauces, soups, or chili.

By Ginny W from Murrells Inlet, SC

That is one of the reasons I never would want an electric stove; gas can be controlled much easier.

That is a great idea! I love my electric cooktop and would never go back to gas again. I can control the lowest heat so that nothing ever boils over anymore, which cannot be done with gas because the flame does not go as low as the electric element and does not stay consistant. I've had both over the past 53 years and electric wins hands down for both ease of cooking and ease of cleaning.

Of course, with a microwave, most heating can be done in that in half the time, while keeping the kitchen cooler.

Great Idea! I don't know why I never thought of that! Thank you for posting!

Excellent idea for electric stoves.

I'll be the contrarian here. My choice would be to turn down the heat earlier, e.g. if the recipe said 20 minutes, turn down the heat a couple of minutes before that.

Having lived with both, I'm in love with my gas stove. Nevertheless, I gnerally move my pot when I turn the heat down to simmer - because usually it doesn't need as much attention then, and probably something else does. So I move the first pot to the back burner and put the next one in front.

I always seem to burn things with an electric stove. I've only had one for 2 yrs in my lifetime and would never go back. this is a great tip though for someone who is stuck with one. I'll be passing this on to my mother as she has one in her apartment. :D

Thanks!

Cooking Tips and Tricks
Cooking Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsApril 9, 2010
Electric Stove Burner
Electric Stove Burners Not Working
Light Switch
Repairing a Light Switch
Blue Colored Granules
Homemade Simmering Granules
🎄