Browsing: Keeping Your Dog in Your Yard

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Your Dog in Your Yard

If your canine escape artist is on the wrong side of the fence again, there are some solutions you can try. This is a guide about keeping your dog in your yard.

Dog in Backyard
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 9, 2016 Flag

How do I prevent my Rott from breaking his leash? I live in a trailer park and he has broken his leash. I put him on a chain and now he is breaking my shed. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. He gets excited when he sees people and is pulling on his leash.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't mean to sound like I am scolding you but what is your dog doing on a chain in the yard when you aren't out there with him ? If he is too active for your home and doesn't listen, your next call should be to find a local training class. Big dogs can cause serious property damage if left to their own devices and generally bigger lawsuits will follow if you don't take steps to correct his behavior immediately. Rottweilers are on the aggressive dog list, don't become a statistic to it.

Rottweilers cannot simply be chained outside your trailer. They are strong, active dogs. You can tire him out, but not by walking him. You'd have to bike or rollerblade while running him.

Are you allowed to put up anything like a strong, wood fence? You need that more than you need a shed right now.

July 16, 2009 Flag

I have a 10 month old yellow Lab who is quite large. I love her to death, but unfortunately the neighbors are not so fond of her. I can't put her on a chain, because there is too much in our yard for her to get tangled up on (basketball goal, five cars, steps, trees, etc). I have an electric fence which works pretty good except for when she gets really excited and runs through it, at which point she won't come back through it.

She's driving my neighbors crazy, because she will steal pillows off of their porch. I just bought her three new toys and I got a new puppy for her to play with in hopes that she would stay home. However just this morning she escaped. Any suggestions short of giving her up and or moving to Alaska?

By heartsoundslikekisses from NC

Best Answer

Those electric fences cause more problems than they are worth (except to a dog trainer like myself who can then charge you a good sum to retrain your dog to be willing to go into your yard and your vet for when a roaming dog attacks your unprotected dog). You should put up a real fence or get a dog run. Do not chain your dog, that can be deadly and will encourage aggressive behavior. Don't keep your dog in the yard, she is a companion breed and needs a lot of time with you. Take her for lots of walks and play, obedience train her, and if not done already, spay her. Especially if you don't have a real fence, there is nothing to keep her from getting pregnant from any boy who happens along.

Best Answer

If you cannot afford to fence your yard in (or rent), consider getting a kennel for your dog. Ours is 6x12 feet--we paid extra for a panel for the top. It is really heavy duty chain link and extremely sturdy. While you shouldn't keep a dog in one constantly because they need to be walked daily, they are great for allowing a dog to be outside without you for periods of time. We have it ours on a covered porch for our cat. He has a dog house in it, a litter box, food bowls, and ramps to climb and lie on. He is totally safe from predators. These are much cheaper than fencing in the entire yard, can be taken apart and moved if you get a new place, and re-sold if no longer needed, so they are pretty cost-efficient. They come in several sizes, and different companies make them in differing weights. We can buy additional panels to make ours bigger, but ours is fine for our cat.

We have one for our boxer/lab mix. She is 1 1/2 yrs old. She is tearing it up from the bottom of the fence and getting out. We've re-enforced it several times with more metal ties, but she chews up another spot. Any ideas? This is our 3rd trip to Lowe's.

September 26, 2012 Flag

We recently adopted an approximately 2 year old neutered male miniature Australian Shepherd. I am about at my wit's end with him! After coming home to find chewed things and poo a couple of times, we decided to let him out into our fenced back yard while we were away from the house.

He has consistently managed to get out of the back yard every time we've been away. We've plugged up every hole in the fence we could find. There is another dog out there with him (an older, much larger dog that he has known pretty much all his life). We make sure he has food and water before we leave.

As long as someone is out there watching, he's a perfect little angel, but the minute we have our backs turned, he escapes somehow. I don't want to chain him up, as there are days we're gone 7:30 am to 6:00 pm. I can't leave him inside or he chews everything up and leaves messes on the carpet. I can't let him outside because he escapes. I don't know what to do!

By Camilla N

Best Answer

Glad that you care because this can be resolved in time. For now, sounds like he really needs to be with you at all times. He has been uprooted from everything he knows. He is afraid and trying for familiar things. It will take time for him to adjust. Do not tie him as this often results in hanging death.

For less than 30 dollars you may wish to buy an electric fence. Little more for wire and stakes. Normally avoided method but if he is unsafe out there, he must stay home. If only he could stay at your side all the time, that would fix the problem.

Another thing he desperately needs is exercise. He is a herder by nature and high activity animal. Jogger in the family? Play ball. swimming. Any physical activity would help, especially if he is with family. You get to wear him out then love him to pieces. He will then be very happy to relax at home, safe and warm.

Best Answer

Ah, you have a Houdini. So do I, so you have my sympathies. How is your dog getting out? Over or under the fence? Either way, I suggest running an electric wire at the top of the fence, and the bottom. That should catch the dog however he tries to get out. The top wire you might want to put a bit above the fence, not right at the boards.

Also, does he have toys to play with in the yard? Shade and water, perhaps a dog house for upcoming cold weather? What about hiring a pet sitter to come play with him for an hour or so during the day? Good luck, I know where you are coming from with this. <--signed, the owner of a very aggravating, sneaky Houdini.

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2014 Flag

I am looking for some advice. At the moment I own a lovable black Lab. We have two parks in either direction not far from my home where we walk and she has a fair sized back yard to play in. We attach her to a chain only long enough for her to go outside and do what she has to do and comes back in.

I'm considering adopting her a companion in the future, but unsure as to how I can manage both outside. There are busy streets surrounding our house where it would be too easy to wander off without a chain, if I attach another chair to our doorstep it would be impossible for either not to become tangled amongst each other.

I'd hate to put them in an outdoor cage, that would be cutting off less space for them, any advice on how I can manage two dogs outside on some sort of chains? I would like to let them roam as freely as possible without causing any danger to their well being, a large fenced in area is a possibility, but would would be somewhat expensive I imagine, but still a possibility.

By Jo

Best Answer

Is there a tree or a pole of some kind that you could attach a wire run to? Or could you install a pole? With the dogs' chains attached to the wire, it is more difficult for them to get tangled, and they could have some freedom to move around safely. With the swivel type attachment on the wire, and a regular leash type catch on the other end to attach to the collars, it should work. Hope this helps.

With no disrespect please don't even consider having another Dog you have enough issues with your unfenced property and the one you have. Is there any reason you can't fence the place?

February 21, 2015 Flag

Shepherd in the snowSo I have this beautiful boy; he's a two year old German Shepherd and the past few months we've been having a lot of trouble keeping him in the yard. He's been fixed for over a year now and we live out in the country, but on a hwy. We own 5 acres of land and the yard is fully fenced except for the entrance. He's been going over to the neighbor's as they own an unfixed female German Shepherd. My question is how do we stop him from going over there? I've been keeping him in his run and letting him out a few hours a day (I have to really watch him), but he still goes over there. We play with him, and have two other dogs that he can play with yet he keeps going over there. Even if he's fixed will a male dog still wonder away if a female is near by in heat? I feel like an annoying neighbor because my dog's there more then I'd like. I go get him the minute I notice. He's friendly and all up to date with his shots, but I also worry he'll get hit one of these days. I'm running out of ideas and need any kind of advice.

By Jackie S from Northern Alberta

You say the yard is fully fenced except for the entrance. Is there any reason why you can't install a gate in the entrance? Then he could just run in your yard.

November 26, 2013 Flag

Lois Lane is a 9 year old Cocker Spaniel and she has been with me since she was a puppy. I have had several grandchildren since she came to me and because she sheds I have recently been keeping her in the backyard which she resents tremendously. If she is not on a leash she crawls under the gate. If she is on a leash she barks all day. Can you suggest an inexpensive fix to keep her in the yard and my sanity?

By Pandora

You might want to try a Puppy Bumper to keep your dog from going under the fence. Puppy Bumpers are stuffed collars that keep dogs from squeezing through small spaces.

With you dog being 9 and being with you since a puppy, is it really fair to put him outside because of grandchildren? For one, how often are they at your home? You mention his shedding. If you brush him daily that is not a problem. Why have a dog if its going to constantly be outside? If I were him I would leave too.

October 18, 2014 Flag

I just moved outside city limits and have no fence. I have two dogs and have them on a dog run, there are a lot of dogs that run loose. I don't want my dogs getting pregnant from these dogs.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 13, 2013
Two dogs looking out the door of a wooden doghouse.
Training a Dog to Use a Dog House
A beautiful yard.
Solutions for a Sour Smelling Yard
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 10, 2016 at 1:08:13 PM on 10.0.0.222 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.