Searing a Steak

Chef Jacques Pepin has a method of searing steak, then cooking in a slow oven for a long time. Does anyone know the details?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Couldn't find this particular chef's recipe on a search but he does sell his general how to tips on CD ...

His way of skillet/oven sear may not be the same but it's most likely very close to this one that I've used ... I like my steak medium rare so I oven cook for 2x2 instead of 3x3:

Buy quality cuts of steak 1" - 1.5" thick that will fit in a skillet

Bring steak to room temperature

Rub olive oil, black pepper, and a pinch of salt to the steak

Heat an all-metal skillet in the oven to 500 degrees

Put hot skillet on the stove at high heat; leave oven on 500 degrees

Sear steak for 30 seconds; flip and sear other side for 30 seconds

Place skillet and steaks back in oven for 3 minutes; flip steak and leave in oven for 3 more minutes (3 minutes should produce a medium steak that is slightly pink in the middle)

Remove skillet and steaks from oven and cover with tin foil for 2 minutes (the steak actually continues to cook during this time)

You can google him and find his website. But, what I do, is put my spices in the pan cold, to keep the steam from clogging up the holes (one of my many offerings here!). Then, I sear the meat good on both sides, and put it with some spuds and onions in the crock pot. I ad some A1, Teriyaki, and a bit of catsup and a beef boulion cube. The next day, you can eat it all with a spoon!

I don't know how his goes, but this is my personal take on it, my Mom always made this, and it's delicious.

You can use most any type of steak, and pork chops are even better.

First you season the meat as desired and then sear it on both sides in a frying pan. Put it in a baking dish and then slice potatoes and onions over it to cover. Once this is done, put just a little water in the bottom of the pan and then cover it with aluminum foil. Put in a 325 degree oven and cook for aproximately 25-30 mins or until the potatoes are done (soft). Take the foil off for the last 5 mins or so, allowing the potatoes to brown.

This is delicous!

Slow Cooked Steak
Slowing Cooking a Steak in the Oven
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatJuly 31, 2008
rump steak with yellow plum sauce
Cooking Steak Tips and Tricks
Several steaks on the grill.
Leftover Steak Recipes
steaks in a supermarket meat case
Saving Money on Steak
Braised Pork Chop, Potatoes and Vegetables
Braised Pork Chop Recipes