Cooking Steak Tips and Tricks

Category Meat
rump steak with yellow plum sauce
There is almost an art to cooking a perfect steak. This is a guide about cooking steak tips and tricks.

To remove the fat, freeze your steak first. Then simply grate the fat off with a standard grater. You can get closer to the meat than with a knife if you are the normal cook. If it is a big piece of meat run the grater over the meat instead of using the grater the normal way. I stub my toes enough not to have them smashed with a heavy object.

By Middlekid from Science Hill, KY

What's the best way to cook a steak?

By gigges from Manchester, UK

I'm not in favour of this modern way of cooking meat which ends up practically raw. Apart from anything else, I don't think it is safe. When I cook sirloin steaks, I oil a piece of tinfoil and place the steak on it. I then add sliced onion, mushrooms and sprinkle half an Oxo beef cube over it. Wrap it up and cook in oven at around 160 degrees C. for about an hour. You end up with a nice moist steak with tasty juices!

Anonymous

Medium rare steaks are perfectly fine and they are tasty. Have eaten them that way my entire life with no problems and I am 55. The trick is to make sure they are fresh.

Whether skillet cooked or on the BBQ just cook on medium high. Place on skillet or grill, and cook until juices flow up on to the top of the steak and 'do not' pierce with a fork or knife during that time or the steak will not remain moist. Once a good amount of juices flow up then turn the steak over and cook for only 30 to 60 seconds longer.

You can cook with or without spicing and eat plain or dip in horseradish or season to taste after cooking or you can cook with pre-seasoning of any sort. Hope this is of help :-)

I call this feathering the steak. I take a knife and slice down across steak about 1/4 of steaks thickness and 1/2" apart across steak and opposite direction on other side then apply olive oil and steak rub and rub in real good. Then cook on grill.I flip the steak a lot and right before it is done, I start to bast it with this steak sauce and beer mixed. It cooks the steak in the inside like it does around the edges.That's it. I can't stand it any more I am going to fire up the grill.Every time our friends hear that we are cooking steaks her they come. I love it.

I am looking for a recipe for steak that is grilled on both sides at a high heat, then put in the oven for a few minutes to roast. It then produces a medium rare steak. I had the recipe then lost it. Hope someone can help.

Sandy from Metairie, LA

This method gives the result that you want, but it is the opposite of what you wrote -- the steak is first baked, and then it is broiled or grilled. The meat should be 2 inches thick. Place it on edge in a V-shaped rack in a roasting pan and bake at 200 degrees for 2 hours, then place it flat on a rack and broil (or grill) for 3 to 5 minutes a side, until it's brown. If the meat isn't a cut that naturally tender, use meat tenderizer according to the package directions and bake the steak for 45 minutes per pound of meat, then broil or grill for 3 to 5 minutes a side.

This is the info I got one time for steak house searing. Have used it with excellent results.

First you sear the steaks. Heat a heavy, ovenproof skillet on stove for about five minutes. After heating the pan, add oil and sear steaks well on one side. Do not move steaks, as constant contact with pan is what gives the nice crust. Turn steaks over, then finish them in oven set at 425 degrees.

Medium Rare: Sear for five minutes, roast in oven for seven minutes, then rest for five minutes. The resting helps redistribute the juices through the meat.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Judi, This sounds like what I was looking for. Can't wait to try it!

Thanks, Sandy

I am looking for a recipe for fuss free steak using a cooking bag.

By Bonnie from N.F.

Why not? First I would sear the meat then place it in the bag maybe with some sauteed onions and mushrooms! Carla

When cooking a steak, use tongs or a spatula to turn the meat rather than a fork. It you puncture the meat it will let the juices out.