My Frugal Life: Cleaning for Less

I have always been one of those people that cannot manage money, I would get it and spend it as fast as I could. Being a single mom with five kids and running a licensed day care at home (because I didn't want to put my kids in day care), I learned a lot of things! I found out quickly that buying cleaning products in the store was EXPENSIVE, especially when I used them so often! That is when I decided to experiment and figure out what I could use to clean with.

Buy a BIG bottle of Vinegar! You can clean everything with it! You can use vinegar to mop your floors. Watch them sparkle! Don't worry the smell goes away!

You can clean your bathroom with vinegar, Dip a cloth in vinegar, wring out and clean those mirrors, rub dry with a towel and WOW! They are so clean and not one streak!

I also made my own laundry detergent with Borax, Fels, and washing soda, so cheap and good! This is better for your washer and dryer and the Earth!

Washing Soda is great to have around, works great in the kitchen to scrub the counters, stove, sinks whatever!

I have used Borax and washing soda as a dishwasher detergent,

You will be surprised how much money you can save!

Have fun! Try to think of things you can do.

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I've always wanted to try Borax for cleaning, but I thought it was poisonous. (It's an active ingredient in Terro ant killer.) So isn't it dangerous to use for washing dishes? I love the tips about vinegar, though. I love it, and am always looking for new ways to use it!

Love this! I have been making my own deterg for a couple of yrs now. Definitely saves a ton of $. It's so easy. Another tip is to buy the big bottle of Downey from Sam's club & then pour that into a big 5 or 10 gal. bucket & then fill your downey bottle twice with water & pour it in. Keep your bottle. I just fill my laundry ball half way w/the diluted Downey & throw into my filling washer with 1 C of the homemade deterg. & tada! It really does clean your laundry! I also save & reuse those Downey bottles for easier handling of the 2 liquids.

Great article Jodi! I use newspaper when I clean my mirrors. Works great and no streaks! What is the brand of your washing soda? They use it in electrolysis when stripping rust from tools and I was going to get some.

Thanks again,

Phil

Hi WildIrish. Borax is a natural product as far as I know and used with caution and knowledge I would think that it is fine when used cleaning dishes. Remember, Dawn has petroleum products in it according to what I've read.

Ths may sound like a stupid question, but what is washing soda?

Two glugs of vinegar in the wash makes a great fabric softener.

Natural Cleaning Products
Thrifty Cleaning Ideas
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 4, 2011
An older woman holding a piggy bank and giving a thumbs up.
Living Better With Less
Square Foot Gardening
The Basics of Square Foot Gardening
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
🎉
🎄