Browsing: Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

My shower enclosure doors have suddenly got severe soap scum and nothing is removing it. It is on one fixed piece more than the others. What can remove this easily? I have tried vinegar, but nothing doing.

By Patricia

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Try a little salt with lemon juice on the sponge. Smells nice and works like a champ on both scum and lime deposits (without dissolving your hands.)

Best Answer

Nothing works like a razor blade. Put a straight blade in the holder and go easy. Then clean the door as usual. I've cleaned the shower stall with razor blades. Liquid soap does not form scum like the bar soap does. Once I switched cleaning is so much easier.

Best Answer

Used Jet Dry, wiped with Magic Eraser then rinsed. Worked well and even cleaned the white shower pan without extra effort. My husband has suggested I use his motorcycle polish to "seal" it all when I am done. Should make water sheet off instead of build up. Probably same effect as Gel-Gloss (Home Depot) which I use on my jetted tub and countertops. Also have had success with Arm & Hammer Cleaner with Oxyclean in conjunction with Magic Eraser in removing build up.

Best Answer

Ok became obsessed with mine! I tried every "solution" available the only thing after a week of soaking, scrubbing, home remedies, and lots of frustration, I even tried wheel acid for crying out loud anything I could think of, finally after scraping with a razor blade. I got the idea of using my electric car buffer and S.O.S pads. I tried in the corner first to see if it would scratch it didn't and so I continued. Now, my shower doors are like new, no spots, no haze, nothing on them! Try this and then apply Rain X to avoid this from happening again. It is hard work not going to lie but if you want them to look their best and tried everything else go for it.

There's a lot of info on this site on that subject, but I seem to remember lemon flavored kool aid is supposed to work.

Good luck!

It might not be soap. It could be hard water minerals. Try Lime Away on it.

Cheap hair shampoo on a regular sponge. Rub it on and then rinse. It should come right off.

If this has happened suddenly, and did not happen before, I would suspect that something is wrong with your water softener and that it is not working anymore. You might want to check this out. Certainly something has changed -- either the soap you are using or the hardness of the water.

I would try CLR to clean this.

In our previous rental we had soap scum build up and was trying to leave the place really clean before we moved out and found this site. I didn't have baby oil so I used canola oil and it did a great job. We now live in a new rental with clear shower doors the other shower was a little bit clear and wavy design but not really frosted. These are clear shower doors. I tried vinegar, baby oil, magic eraser, windex etc and still had water spots so I thought of the fact that the Jet Dry rinse for dishwashers really takes the spots off my dishes so I tried it on the glass doors and spots removed. Clear like when we first moved in.

Wd 40 really works and resist new.

After having tried everything listed here I gave it one more try before replacing the shower doors with frosted glass. Kaboom Foam-Tastic did it.

Soap Scum covered shower doors
Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJuly 20, 2010
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Shower door made of metal and class.
Cleaning Metal Parts on Shower Doors
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:25:18 AM on 10.0.0.71 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.