Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Category Bathroom
Soap scum and hard water marks can make your shower doors a chore to clean. This is a guide about cleaning stubborn shower doors.

My shower enclosure doors have suddenly got severe soap scum and nothing is removing it. It is on one fixed piece more than the others. What can remove this easily? I have tried vinegar, but nothing doing.

By Patricia Joseph

Answers

Best Answer

Try a little salt with lemon juice on the sponge. Smells nice and works like a champ on both scum and lime deposits (without dissolving your hands.)

Best Answer

Nothing works like a razor blade. Put a straight blade in the holder and go easy. Then clean the door as usual. I've cleaned the shower stall with razor blades. Liquid soap does not form scum like the bar soap does. Once I switched cleaning is so much easier.

Best Answer

Used Jet Dry, wiped with Magic Eraser then rinsed. Worked well and even cleaned the white shower pan without extra effort. My husband has suggested I use his motorcycle polish to "seal" it all when I am done.

Should make water sheet off instead of build up. Probably same effect as Gel-Gloss (Home Depot) which I use on my jetted tub and countertops. Also have had success with Arm & Hammer Cleaner with Oxyclean in conjunction with Magic Eraser in removing build up.

Best Answer

Ok became obsessed with mine! I tried every "solution" available the only thing after a week of soaking, scrubbing, home remedies, and lots of frustration, I even tried wheel acid for crying out loud anything I could think of, finally after scraping with a razor blade. I got the idea of using my electric car buffer and S.O.S pads. I tried in the corner first to see if it would scratch it didn't and so I continued. Now, my shower doors are like new, no spots, no haze, nothing on them! Try this and then apply Rain X to avoid this from happening again. It is hard work not going to lie but if you want them to look their best and tried everything else go for it.

I want to know other than ammonia, what can I clean my glass shower doors with that actually works and keeps the scum away?

By shannon from Lacon, IL

Answers:

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Don't let your shower doors get dirty to begin with. Liquid body wash and clear glycerin soap leave much less gunk behind than standard bar soap. After showering, wipe down the shower doors with an old towel or use a squeegee. This helps keep the doors cleaner longer. (03/10/2010)

By OliveOyl

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Best thing to do is prevent the scum in the first place. I switched from bar soap to liquid body wash and that solved the soap scum problem. I read this online. It costs more than bar soap, but I won't use bar soap again. (03/15/2010)

By Betty

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Your shower doors will stay cleaner if you use a squeegee on them after showering.
(04/19/2010)

By Jennifer

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

I tried lots. The thing that worked best with little work was Bar Keepers Friend. Scrub lightly, and rinse with water. Towel dry. Clean as the day the doors were installed. (04/25/2010)

By Sam

What can you clean you glass shower doors with, so soap scum stays off of them?

By tina miller from Covington, KY

Answers:

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

The best thing I found was the Go-Jo hand cleaner that mechanics use. I would remove the doors for easier access. Then I put some on a damp cloth and apply it using a circular motion one row at a time. I would then put the doors back in and use the shower to rinse them. It worked really good, but it didn't prevent the soap scum buildup. I still had to clean the doors on a regular basis. (06/16/2009)

By Monica Nobles

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

I use "Krud Kutter" I purchased at Lowe's. It's actually a safe for plants, kids, etc. cleaner used with pressure washers for your house. It's about $13 per container and I've used it lots for general household cleaning (especially the bathtub, you don't have to clean it as often). Great stuff. (06/19/2009)

By Charlene

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

I don't know of anything that will keep it from coming back, but orange oil will take soap scum right off, almost no effort. I use Medina concentrate, 2 T. per half gallon of water. I have not tried this, so fair warning, but I've heard that car wax works nicely to make shower doors repel water. (06/19/2009)

By AnnieNP

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

There's a product called RainOff. It's a windshield treatment that most automotive stores carry. Cleans and repels water, bugs, dirt, etc. and it works great. Here's a link where you can read about it and purchase online if you wish to:

wattsmotoringaccessories.com(06/19/2009)

By Ann

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Just read every one of these and thanks to all. I've tried several commercial products already like Lime-Away and Kaboom with poor results. I decided to try two new things side by side on my heavy mineral deposits on clear glass doors. I used two kinds of stove top cleaner (Whirlpool and Whink) against a cleaner I use for my fireplace glass doors, Rutland Conditioning Glass Cleaner for Stove, Grill and Hearth.

There are several Rutland products for fireplaces so I am purposely being very specific. I also used copper scrubber pads as someone suggested so not to scratch the glass with steel pads or abrasive pads.

After some serious rubbing I compared the side-by-side cleaned areas. End result, all of them worked, but the Rutland cleaner worked significantly better (less effort and clearer). I am very happy with the result and just wanted to let everyone know what worked best for me. Any fireplace shop should have the Rutland product, it is the color of toothpaste. (06/30/2009)

By Dave

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

After reading everyone's post, I tried baby oil. Amazingly, it worked. I used a new green scrubby with the oil. Initially, it looked like a greasy mess until I used a vinegar soaked cloth and voila it wiped right off leaving much cleaner doors. (07/01/2009)

By Teresa

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

I use a Cleret shower squeegee after I shower. That prevents the buildup of all that nasty stuff that forms as water spots. (10/15/2009)

By Martin

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

I tried everything on the market and managed to get my screen clean, but it was a mission to keep it clean until a friend told me about Clean Shower Buckinghamshire. They are a company that clean showers and coat the glass with a permanent coating. So I had them around to do mine. Perfect, they did a great job and you never have to use cleaning products again. That was a year ago and it's still clean. cleanshower.co.uk. I am not sure the areas they cover. (11/29/2009)

By lee

Cleaning Stubborn Shower Doors

Toothpaste (white) with a Scotch pad/sponge. One I used had peroxide and baking soda in it. I also tried regular white Colgate and it works, too. It was just an experiment. I thought since I take the scratches out of CDs and DVDs with it, it might just work. and WOW!(12/02/2009)

By tarna

I have tried everything listed here to clean my shower door and glass walls. The house is only 4 years old and the glass was fine a few months ago. Now it is spotty, hazy and looks scummy.

I have stains on my shower door! I don't know if they are hard water or soap scum. I use Tilex shower cleaner everyday.

Does anyone know a good way of removing hardwater stains from glass shower doors? We recently bought this home and the shower doors don't look like they have ever been cleaned.