Browsing: Saving Money on Ground Beef

What to Do with 10 Pounds of Ground Beef

A few weeks ago I came upon a ground beef bargain. The expiration date was nearing and my supermarket needed to get rid of 10 pounds of ground beef. I decided to try something different, albeit a little weird.

I put the entire 10 pounds of raw ground beef into a big stock pot. I added enough water to cover the meat and set the pot over high heat to let the water come to a boil -- no cover, no salt. After about 5 minutes, I gave it a stir to break up the big clumps, which were few. The hot water was doing all of my work for me -- no splatters, no mess. When all of the pink color disappeared I knew it was done, even though it had not started to boil.

I placed my large colander into a big bowl in the sink and poured the now cooked beef into the colander. I did this in batches because my colander would not hold all of the meat at once. With the colander I was able to drain off all the liquid into a bowl, including the fat, leaving uniformly fine-textured ground beef in the colander. No clumps! I could have done the same thing scooping the meat from the stockpot with a large sieve, transferring the drained beef into a large bowl. (When done draining, I put the beef broth in the refrigerator. Later I skimmed off the fat and will use the broth for soup.)

I measured 2 cups of cooked beef (the equivalent of about 1 pound of raw ground beef) into 1-gallon size, zip-type freezer bags, pressed out the air and zipped. Then I laid each one on the counter to flatten it thin, stacked them like sheets of paper and popped the stack into the freezer.

Because my bags of beef are flat, I can use them frozen. I take one of these flat, frozen packages of ground beef, whack it on the side of the sink to break it into pieces, unzip and pour the contents into a non-stick skillet. It's ready for all uses. Here's the best part: This method removes most of the fat, leaving the ground meat nearly fat-free.

By Kathy

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

The last time I visited my sister she made meatballs by dropping them, after rolling them into balls, into a pot of boiling water. She cooked them only until done (she said they fall apart ortherwise if overcooked...then you make hamburger soup). They came out perfectly round and were very juicy. All the fat had been boiled off and they were really good.

The best time to buy meat at the supermarket is in the mornings, look for the "quick sell" labels (sometimes orange, sometimes neon green), usually they have to be sold by that day.

Vacuum pack the ground beef in 1 pound bags. It will stay usable for about 6 months, maybe a little more. If you don't have vacuum sealer, wrap the beef in freezer paper, then in a zip lock freezer bag. Squeeze as much air out as you can, then freeze. You will have to use the ground beef in 3 months or less. Otherwise you will lose the meat to freezer burn.

I've been doing this to my beef for several year's. I have a number of recipes that use beef broth and that is what I use the broth for. I also put a straw in the freezer baggie and suck all the air out before I seal it. This is almost as good as vacuum sealing. I have bell peppers in the freezer that have been there for over a year with no freezer burn that I did this way.

This sounds like a great idea. Although I always buy my ground beef in bulk I never thought to cook it ahead of time before dividing and freezing and getting that great beef broth. Will definitely try this next time.

Double Cheese Burger
Saving Money on Ground Beef
Food and Recipes Food Tips MeatOctober 23, 2004
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Woman Weighing Herself
Losing 5 Pounds in a Week
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Ground Turkey Burgers on Grill
Cooking with Ground Turkey
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:17:33 AM on 10.0.1.249 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.