Freezing Ground Beef

I used to buy 5 lb rolls of ground beef, cut them into 5 portions, wrap and freeze them in solid hunks. But it was not conducive for quickly thawing, and if one fell out of our well-stocked freezer, it could break a toe.

Now I grind my own meat, but this would still apply to the rolls and freeze it "flat" in thick freezer bags. It's much easier to stack neatly in my freezer and thaws more evenly if I need a "quick thaw."

By Kelli from Sentani, Indonesia

13 More Solutions

I cook up 10 pounds of ground beef at a time and then divide it up into one pound packages (our family's size). Then I freeze it.

When we buy burger in large packages, we part it out, usually in 1 pound packs. We put each section into a gallon size freezer bag, then flatten it out in the skillet like a large burger, zip the bag and freeze. This makes thawing, cooking, and browning so much easier.

I recycle cottage cheese and sour cream containers to freeze bulk purchases of ground beef in. I have discovered that 1 lb. of ground beef fits in a 16 oz. container.

Buy ground meat in bulk and divide it into quart or gallon-size freezer bags. Lay the bags flat and either knead with your palms or use rolling pin to spread-out the meat 1/2 inch thick to fill each corner of the square bag.

When I freeze my own hamburger patties, I cut pieces of freezer paper into squares a little bit bigger than the patties. I put two pieces of the paper between each patty, slick side towards the patties. When I go to use the frozen patties, they don't stick together because of the freezer paper.

When I buy meat in larger quantities, this is how I package them for the freezer. I patty up my 8 oz. burgers. You can pull them out 2 at a time, for meals that call for a pound.

I am not a person who enjoys cooking, so I spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. When I buy a large quantity of ground beef, I always brown it and divide it into quart size zipper bags then put it into the freezer for impromptu pots of chili or spaghetti sauce.

When I prepare ground beef for freezing, I make patties using a hamburger press. I place wax paper on each side of each patty to keep them from sticking together then I stack them in a gallon zip lock bag for freezing and place it on a flat surface in the freezer until the patties are frozen.

How long can you keep cooked ground beef in the freezer?

By debra anding from MS

Answers

Here's a link with some info:

southernfood.about.com/.../groundbeef04_2.htm

6 months

Answer this Question

When buying pre-packaged hamburger, notice how the meat always seems to have a big lump at one end from the way the machine extrudes it?

My homeworker was here and it was our cooking day that week. We were almost done, the only meat left out of what I set out, was a one pound roll of hamburger. I had not planned anything special for it, so I told her to just brown it, drain it, and put in freezer.

How do I freeze cooked ground beef?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
In These Pages
Food and Recipes Freezing MeatFebruary 22, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Ground-Beef-1.html