Large WildlifePest Control

Getting Rid of Coyotes

I live in a country setting, with a large canyon behind my house. Recently, 5 coyote pups (about 1/2 grown) started coming on my deck, with their mother watching in the near distance. I try to chase them away with a BB gun and yelling at them, but they keep coming back. They are getting more and more bold. I think they plan to live here. How can I get rid of them? Is it legal to poison them in San Diego County? Please help with suggestions. Thanks.

By Mike from El Cajon, CA

We have had a problem in our province this year with coyotes coming too close to humans and actually being quite aggressive. There has even been one death due to a coyote attack while someone was hiking. Do you have small pets (cat), if so keep inside and protect your small children as well. When I walk on local hiking trails I carry a personal alarm, it has a very high pitched shrill noise when a pin is pulled. You could try one of these. It should scare anything away. Just don't hold too closely to your ears. Don't leave anything that might smell (garbage, food) outside either.

One more thing, the news report recently said to make yourself appear larger, raise yourself up and yell and make a lot of noise, don't shy away. Protect your young children and small pets at all costs, do not leave them alone in your yard, night or day. Contact animal control in your area for help.

WildIrish I totally agree. There's no need to kill or poison these creatures. Poisoning is a terrible death for any animal. It's not quick and the animal will suffer. And, you don't know if domestic dogs or cats (pets) might get into the poison by accident. Because people keep building & building, closing in on land that already is inhabited by any wild creature, of course they are going to be lurking around highly populated neighborhoods. We're tearing up their woodland homes so where do people expect them to go? I have pets & I love them dearly & I would be devastated if anything happened to them, but even if one was killed, I wouldn't be so quick to blame or kill a coyote just because I thought they did it. There are many humane ways to keep them away. Or just be as prudent as you can & keep your pets inside, or many of the other suggestions listed.

Killing any animal with poison is really cruel, plus the fact you may kill some one's pet. When you move to an environment where these animals live, what do you expect? They were there before you! Keep food and garbage where they can't get into it. Also keep any eye on your pets, don't let them roam, or tied up unattended either. Contact animal control if you have one for a solution. Keep in mind if you trap, and release an animal to another area this may be against the law. This is the case in Massachusetts. Good luck.