Iron Your Grilled Cheese

As a student or anyone with no stove privileges, one can make a quick and easy grilled cheese sandwich on an iron. Assemble sandwich with buttered bread, wrap it in tin foil, and "fry" it on your iron. They turn out delicious with no dirty dishes.

By Carol from Kingston, Ont. Canada

When my husband & I were first married 23 years ago, I came down with pneumonia. In his attempt to feed me, he made a sandwich like this, his father had taught him. I thought it very clever.... Now, he does all the cooking & there is not an iron in sight. lol

Trish in CT

When Dinosaurs went to college, we did that, and had no fridge so we hung a basket on a rope out the window in the winter, which worked great here in TX where winters USED to get down to only 25 degrees F. (I could never spell that ! ) We did have an elec. skillet, but it was not allowed, so we couldn't use it. The iron became the hot plate and two bricks

the hotplate holder. Those were the mischievious

days of old. Our sorority made pimento/cheese sandwiches every week and sold them to others in the dorm for fund raising at $1.00 each, even though they were worth only $.25. We made a LOT from those

things, winding up having to eat whatever didn't sell

because they would not "keep" from week to week.

Ironed Cheese Sandwiches was what they turned out to be for us ALL, I believe. lololol God bless you for reminding me of those cheesey days. : )

When I was in college 30 years ago we weren't supposed to cook in the dorm rooms so this is something I also used to do. I might say if a kid was going now might want to get the kind of iron for them that automatically shuts off after 5 minutes of non-use. I believe that is Black & Decker brand, just have to do your homework.

My DH and I saw this in a Johnny Depp movie (Gilbert Grape?) and just laughed and spent a week yelling "get the iron" at lunchtime.

Fortunately, I don't do much ironing so the board usually isn't up for a quick snack.

lol We are dating ourselves. I put the perishables between the screen and the storm window in the winter.

That was for cereal for breakfast. The rest of the day was junk food, in comparison to the two squares.

i amm sorry to hear that you do that. it is a dangerous fire hazerd. the iron is not made to cook things. i wouldnt want to be in your dorm because you will probably cause a fire

I'm pretty sure the Johnny Depp movie was "Benny And Joon". It was a great film.

I've never ironed a sandwich but I don't know if I could get to my iron easily either!

Jess