What Is A Balance Bar On A Serger?

I would like to know if anyone can tell me what a balance bar is on a serger sewing machine? The thing is skipping stitches bad and no matter what I sew it still skips. I have cleaned it, changed needles, checked tensions, rethreaded,etc but it is still skipping.

If I change the width or length it skips worse. I am using a basic 3 thread, one needle stitch. A lady at the thrift store who also has a serger said there was a balance bar under the throat plate that slides back and forth and when adjusted it stops the skipping. I took off the plate and all I see is a metal bar with 2 screws on top. Is this it?

She said all sergers have this balance bar. I have searched the net trying to find the answer but none so far. I appreciate your help. I am about ready to toss this thing in the river. It's an older model Toyota serger. I cannot afford to take it to the shop so I need some help here! Thank you.

Marian from Danville, VA

Answers

See Serger Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJJauCY4G0&feature=related - 74k

I can't exactly describe it but it keeps the machine in line and makes it run smoother. When it goes that's it - It has to go to a shop for repairs. I assume you have looked for parts. My aunt had a similar problem with her commercial Serger and finally saved up the money to take it in to a shop for repairs. (It cost her $1239 bucks)

I would call around to different shops or ask around to find a good one with reasonable rates. Also you really should not run it because you can make the problem worse and destroy the machine.

Personally, I would - put it in a yard sale for ? bucks w/ an as is sign on it and make it someone else's problem.

Then put the money toward saving up to buy a newer one. If you shop around, a decent machine can be found for less than $150.00

I understand about the money, because my new hubby (He's an accountant) is a real tightwad, he's refuses to use C-cards because he doesn't like paying interest, etc.. -

ergo if I want something like the sewing machine of my dreams, I have to save up for it. Otherwise he will not let me buy it because, in his view as long as my old one works, I don't need another one. I thought about throwing it in the river a few times too.

BTW:

My Hubby went through the roof he found out that I paid $20 at a yard-sale (it was a mess) for the Baby-Lock that I use at home and then I spent another $99 to get it fixed. I would have been in bigger trouble had it not been a $400 machine.

Good used one are out there you have to look for them and save up for them. Good Luck

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesJune 5, 2008
Baby Lock Imagine Serger
Finding a Baby Lock Imagine Serger Manual
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Washing with bar soap.
Is Using Bar Soap Safe?
Raspberry Bar Cookies
Bar Cookie Recipes
🎉
🎄