Removing a Photo Stuck to Glass

It is a challenge to remove a photo without ruining it from glass when it is old or has gotten wet. This guide is about removing a photo stuck to glass.

October 22, 2011 Flag

I have a very old picture that is stuck to this picture frame. I can not make a copy of it and can't risk getting the picture ruined. The picture is too long to fit in the freezer and the blow drier technique doesn't work. What can we do?

By Shannon O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can't scan it at least take a picture or several pictures of it before you try anything. A copy shop like Kinkos or Staples might be able to scan it in larger equipment.

Call a place with a walk-in freezer and talk to them.

I took a pic that was stuck to glass to Walgreens. The tech took the frame apart but left the photo adhered to the glass and scanned that. It came out beautifully and there was no risk. I believe if you try to separate them you will ruin the picture. The pic was my daughter and her deceased Grandmother taken when my daughter was a young girl, so it was really important to her. I would try an experienced tech at Walgreens. He did a great job for me.

This really aids in stopping silver from tarnishing , ,my mother wrapped her silver tea service with plastic wrap I do it with jewelry etc. ... The oxygen can't gat at it as easily to tarnish.

October 9, 2010 Flag

Where can I buy the product "Un Du" that removes stuck photos from glass?

By Norma from Sayre, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The scrap-booking stores sell this product, or something very close to it that will remove items from glass, in one piece.

If you don't find it you might try putting it in the freezer. I read on here not long ago that would unstick the picture from glass. I haven't tried it, but assume it works.

In the freezer it doesnt work! Far better to scan through the glass and if water mark shows on scanned image use restoration software

July 12, 2010 Flag

How do I remove a picture stuck to the glass on an old frame?

By Mitzy from Kenner, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do not use something abrasive like steel wool or an SOS pad, this can scratch some glass

Buy a flat razor. Spray some water or Windex on the surface and scrape off the sticky residue with the flat razor

Dawn

http://frugalforlife.blogspot.com

If you want to save the photograph, the best thing to do is go to a photo lab and see if it can be done safely.

Simply put it in plain warm water and gently use a finger to rub and massage it and it will release itself with no damage. Don't force it. Shake it off and blot dry with clean cloth, no lint type. Lay between two pieces of wax paper and weight it down so it dries flat.

November 21, 2011 Flag

How do I remove an old photo stuck to a glass frame that is broken?

By Yvonne B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try putting it in a freezer for a few hours.

February 3, 2011 Flag

How do I remove a photo (without ruining it) from glass when it has gotten wet?

By Judi from Brighton, CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is advice in the ThriftyFun archives below. Just scroll down on this page.

August 26, 2010 Flag

How do you remove pictures stuck to the glass in a frame?

By Rosee from Fort Payne, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair OtherSeptember 15, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Engagement Photo Ideas
Engagement Photo Ideas
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 15, 2017 at 10:37:07 AM on 10.0.1.142 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.