Removing a Photo Stuck to Glass

Category Other
old photo
It is a challenge to remove a photo without ruining it from glass when it is old or has gotten wet. This guide is about removing a photo stuck to glass.

I have a very old picture that is stuck to this picture frame. I can not make a copy of it and can't risk getting the picture ruined. The picture is too long to fit in the freezer and the blow drier technique doesn't work. What can we do?

By Shannon O.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

If you can't scan it at least take a picture or several pictures of it before you try anything. A copy shop like Kinkos or Staples might be able to scan it in larger equipment.

Call a place with a walk-in freezer and talk to them.

I took a pic that was stuck to glass to Walgreens. The tech took the frame apart but left the photo adhered to the glass and scanned that. It came out beautifully and there was no risk. I believe if you try to separate them you will ruin the picture. The pic was my daughter and her deceased Grandmother taken when my daughter was a young girl, so it was really important to her. I would try an experienced tech at Walgreens. He did a great job for me.

This really aids in stopping silver from tarnishing , ,my mother wrapped her silver tea service with plastic wrap I do it with jewelry etc. ... The oxygen can't gat at it as easily to tarnish.

I wrapped my silver pieces with plastic wrap and had lines and marks on the silver that would not polish out. I would put acid-free tissue paper around the items first, then use the plastic wrap. Keep the plastic off the metal. I have used Silvercloth with better results. You can buy it by the yard to wrap whatever you need.

Have you tried putting plastic after glass.

Where can I buy the product "Un Du" that removes stuck photos from glass?

By Norma from Sayre, PA

Answers

The scrap-booking stores sell this product, or something very close to it that will remove items from glass, in one piece.

If you don't find it you might try putting it in the freezer. I read on here not long ago that would unstick the picture from glass. I haven't tried it, but assume it works.

Anonymous

In the freezer it doesnt work! Far better to scan through the glass and if water mark shows on scanned image use restoration software

How do I remove a picture stuck to the glass on an old frame?

By Mitzy from Kenner, LA

Answers

Do not use something abrasive like steel wool or an SOS pad, this can scratch some glass

Buy a flat razor. Spray some water or Windex on the surface and scrape off the sticky residue with the flat razor

Dawn

http://frugalforlife.blogspot.com

If you want to save the photograph, the best thing to do is go to a photo lab and see if it can be done safely.

Simply put it in plain warm water and gently use a finger to rub and massage it and it will release itself with no damage. Don't force it. Shake it off and blot dry with clean cloth, no lint type. Lay between two pieces of wax paper and weight it down so it dries flat.

How do I remove an old photo stuck to a glass frame that is broken?

By Yvonne B.

Try putting it in a freezer for a few hours.

How do I remove a photo (without ruining it) from glass when it has gotten wet?

By Judi from Brighton, CO

Answers

Anonymous

There is advice in the ThriftyFun archives below. Just scroll down on this page.

How do you remove pictures stuck to the glass in a frame?

By Rosee from Fort Payne, AL

I need help in unsticking a photo from an old frame.

By Mark from Tyler, TX

Answers:

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Trust me. It has happened to me before and in time it comes off! (12/24/2010)

By JC Penny

How do you unstick pictures stuck to the glass in a picture frame?

By Christie

Answers:

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Rest it on a filled hot water bottle, glass down and I would imagine that the photo will lift up after a little heating. Don't keep it on there too long. I hope it works!

Monique :) (11/16/2010)

By Monique63

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

I use the trusty hair dryer. Start with the cool switch and move it warmer and warmer. You will know when it is hot enough. The paper the photo is on will 'talk' to you, make noises. (11/21/2010)

By T&T Grandma

I have a 8x10 white black photo, there is a 4 1/2 inch piece of glass stuck onto the photo. How do I remove the glass without peeling the old photo? Is there any place I can send it to to have it repaired? Please advise asap. Thanks!

Tracie

Answers:

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Try putting it into the freezer for a while; then the photo (still cold) should unpeel. I've heard this works, haven't tried it myself. (09/28/2010)

By joanne

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

Before you try anything at least get a copy of the photo by scanning it or taking it to Staples and have them do it. That way if what you try does not work at least you have a copy of the photo. (09/29/2010)

By Lilac

Removing Photo Stuck to Glass

If the photo is not a computer printed photo from your home printer, but was actually processed by a photo center, you can soak the glass and photo in water. It should be easy to remove then. Part of photo processing is the final water bath. After it is removed, allow it to air dry. It will curl a bit, but the photo should still be good. (09/30/2010)

By Noella

I have some old photos in frames and the pictures are stuck to the glass. Is there any way to safely remove the glass without damaging the photo? Please help!

By Antiquefreeque

Answers:

Old Photo Stuck To Glass In Frame

If you try to pull the picture off, it will be ruined. I had the same problem with a 5x7 picture. I removed the glass with the pic still attached, and had it scanned into my computer at home, then printed out copies from that, and placed the "stuck" original back where it came from. If you don't have a scanner, take it to Walmart, or anywhere there is a public photo center. (04/26/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Old Photo Stuck To Glass In Frame

Take your trusty hair dryer to the front of the glass, I found it was slick in removing them from old photo books too! (05/23/2009)

By T & T Grandma

I have an old photo in a picture frame. The picture got stuck to the glass surface and I would like to get it out. Any suggestions?

btmack

Answers:

Old Photo Stuck To Glass In Frame

Try using warm water with Ivory or liquid Joy, soak for at least 1-2 hours and gently separate the photo from the glass. If possible use a flat bed scanner and make a copy of the original. Before putting a photo behind glass make sure it has a protective coating such as protective spay from the hobby or photo shop (07/20/2005)

By Dick M.

Old Photo Stuck To Glass In Frame

If it is irreplaceable take it to a professional photo place. I believe water would damage the photo. I found that my photos stuck because I didn't dry the glass well enough after I cleaned it. (07/21/2005)

By Fran Marie

Old Photo Stuck To Glass In Frame

Try using a product called "Undo". It's used in scrapbooking to remove/reposition stickers. It's photo safe. Just let the photo dry completely after removing. When used on stickers, you can re-use the sticker after it dries. The product comes with a "lifter" to help lift the photo as you apply the product. (07/22/2005)

By Cheryl from Missouri