White Fuzz on Black Clothing

I always have white fuzz like marks on my black clothes after they dry. I have to take a wet cloth and rub off the marks. Is there something I can do so this does not happen. Thanks

Moe11 from NY

Hmmmmm something is coming off of something when you dry your clothes. Are you washing and drying towels with your sweaters? Did a sock get in with the wash? Or tissues?

I wash and dry all my black clothes together, nothing else with them. Polyester-type fabric is notorious for picking up lint: you might consider washing your non-cotton items separately, cold water wash and rinse, dry for a few minutes to remove any wrinkles, and hang dry.

Is is actual fuzz or just fuzzy looking? LOL.

Could be residue from your detergent or fabric softener possibly.

Do you use powdered laundry soap or possibly too much?

Maybe you need to wipe down the inside of your washer and/or dryer before you do a load of darks.

Every washer can benefit from a cleaning cycle of vinegar and water to get rid of detergent build-up on washing machine walls every now and then.

You could also try turning the garments inside out so the markings would at least be on the inside of the clothing.

I am with the poster below on washing them separately.

If your clothes are partly cotton the fibers tend to "bloom" when over-dryed. Try taking things out of the dryer before they are fully dried to avoid this. The color (not just black) will be richer than if fully dried.

If wetting it down gets rid of it, chances are this is what is happening.

What I do when I wash dark clothes is turn them inside out. Also, make sure you use liquid detergent so it gets mixed well. Hope this helps.

When I have had this problem, I discovered that by using less laundry detergent (you will be amazed how little it really takes to get clothes clean and fresh) and not washing as many clothes at one time, I was able to alleviate the problem completely. My problem was too many suds and too many clothes; the clothes couldn't circulate enough to rinse the suds out of the folds of fabric efficiently.

The best thing to use is a fabric shaver. http://www.filtrationtek.com/fabricshaver.htm The best one I know of is on the link.

Rince black clothing by adding some vinegar in cold water and drip dry.

Vinegar added during rinse? Or with first wash?

You might be overloading it. Also, always manually set the water level too, and avoid auto. All it is, is undisolved soap powder by the sounds of it :) good luck.

laundry basket of clean clothing
Preventing Lint on Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning ClothingFebruary 25, 2008
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
A woman pushing a cart of presents.
Finding Black Friday Deals Online
🎉
🎄