Preventing Lint on Clothing

Category Laundry
If you are tried of having to get out the lint roller after doing a load of wash; try something new. This is a guide about preventing lint on clothing.

This really helps cut down on lint and pet hair on clothes! Get some "netting" at a sewing shop, I found mine in the wedding section. Cut it into 6x6 inch squares, and toss one in the washer and a fresh one in the dryer, and bingo! It catches pet hair and lint.

By Diana

To remove lint from clothes, put in little white vinegar in the wash. Lint will not stick to the clothes as much.

By Sue

Want to wash your fleece without getting lint all over it? Wash it alone in cold water. May combine two pieces.

By 1thriftygal from MI

White vinegar poured into your rinse cycle in your washing machine will help eliminate lint from the laundry.

By Robin

Since lint is highly contagious, remove it before you put a garment in the closet. No clothing brush? Wrap a strip of masking or cellophane tape around your hand, adhesive side out, and move it across the garment. Or use a damp sponge. You'll find that lint is much easier to remove with a damp clothes brush than with a dry one. To remove lint from velvet, a clean sponge powder puff works well; on wool use a dry cellulose sponge.

By Joesgirl

I always have white fuzz like marks on my black clothes after they dry. I have to take a wet cloth and rub off the marks. Is there something I can do so this does not happen. Thanks

Moe11 from NY

Answers

Hmmmmm something is coming off of something when you dry your clothes. Are you washing and drying towels with your sweaters? Did a sock get in with the wash? Or tissues?

I wash and dry all my black clothes together, nothing else with them. Polyester-type fabric is notorious for picking up lint: you might consider washing your non-cotton items separately, cold water wash and rinse, dry for a few minutes to remove any wrinkles, and hang dry.

Is is actual fuzz or just fuzzy looking? LOL.

Could be residue from your detergent or fabric softener possibly.

Do you use powdered laundry soap or possibly too much?

Maybe you need to wipe down the inside of your washer and/or dryer before you do a load of darks.

Every washer can benefit from a cleaning cycle of vinegar and water to get rid of detergent build-up on washing machine walls every now and then.

You could also try turning the garments inside out so the markings would at least be on the inside of the clothing.

I am with the poster below on washing them separately.

If your clothes are partly cotton the fibers tend to "bloom" when over-dryed. Try taking things out of the dryer before they are fully dried to avoid this. The color (not just black) will be richer than if fully dried.

If wetting it down gets rid of it, chances are this is what is happening.

What I do when I wash dark clothes is turn them inside out. Also, make sure you use liquid detergent so it gets mixed well. Hope this helps.

When I have had this problem, I discovered that by using less laundry detergent (you will be amazed how little it really takes to get clothes clean and fresh) and not washing as many clothes at one time, I was able to alleviate the problem completely. My problem was too many suds and too many clothes; the clothes couldn't circulate enough to rinse the suds out of the folds of fabric efficiently.

Rinse black clothing by adding some vinegar in cold water and drip dry.

Vinegar added during rinse? Or with first wash?

You might be overloading it. Also, always manually set the water level too, and avoid auto. All it is, is undisolved soap powder by the sounds of it :) good luck.

Do not use fabric softener sheet like bounce,gain or downy especially for dark colored clothes.

Every time I take a load of clothes out of the washing machine, they come out with fuzz balls all over them. What is the problem?

Sher from Buffalo, NY

Answers

Here are some possible reasons for "fuzzy/pilling"clothing:
overloading your washer - Too much laundry soap, especially the powdered kind - too much softner -hard water - washing unlike clothes together, i.e. towels or socks with sweaters, dark clothing with light -make sure to turn clothes inside out before washing. Wash like fabrics & like colors together -make sure there are no tissues or paper products in pockets - make sure washer tub is wiped down. Liquid detergent works best, if using powdered type make sure it's thoroughly dissolved before adding laundry.
Hope this helps. Anbsmommy

What mix of fabrics are you washing together? Are you stuffing your washer or leaving room for them to actually move in the agitation cycle?

Acrylic fibers in your clothes will fuzz almost immediately. Try to avoid clothes with acrylic in their content.

One of two things happened. Either you had too many pieces of clothing in the wash load or your washer's lint trap needs cleaning. You'll most likely need to re-wash your load of clothes.

I never knew washers had lint traps!

Where is the WASHER'S lint trap? I didn't know there was such a thing???

I want to know where the lint trap is!!!? This happens all the time to my clothes and we never fill the washer up.

I have a LG top loader washing machine. It is an I sensor, invertor, direct drive 9.5kg, wt-h950 model. Every wash comes out full of lint. I do clean the lint holder each wash and have tried more water than recommended. It is ruining my clothes. Can someone please give me some advice?

By Tess from Victoria

Answers

Try adding 1 cup white vinegar to the wash load's rinse cycle. This really seems to cut down on lint. Also, if the lint holder is removable, take it to a sink and run water through it. If the water does not flow freely through it, it may be blocked with fabric softener residue, if you use fabric softener in the washer. If it is blocked, scrub with hot water and detergent until the water flows freely. It will then catch much more lint. If this turns out to be the case, clean it every couple of months. And turn all clothes inside out, and there will be less lint, and it will be out of sight.

I read a hint here on Thirfty Fun, buy a yard of nylon netting (cheap) unfold it and put in your dryer with 'linted' clothing. It works!

I always toss in a few of those "scrubby" mesh sponges for hand dishwashing into my washing machine. I keep 3 or 4 specifically just for laundry. You will be amazed at how much lint they catch which means that there is much less on your clothes.

How do I keep lint from getting on my clothes in the washing machine?

Patti from St. Petersburg, Fl

Answers

I am having problems with lint in my washing machine. My old machine had a lint trap, this new one does not. when I pull out my laundry it's covered in lint. The clothing I dry isn't a problem, it'll come off in the dryer, but the shirts that I hang to dry aren't even wearable. I have to rewash them. I separate my wash, and I don't overload the machine. What do i need to do?

Kimberly from Oklahoma

Answers:

RE: Washer Lint Problem

Add 1 cup of vinegar to your wash cycle. White or apple cider will work equally well. This really softens and cuts the lint. Also don't wash fuzzy stuff--like towels--with smooth stuff. Wash colors and darks separately whenever possible. Use a clothes shaver if you get pilling. (02/15/2006)

By Mary

RE: Washer Lint Problem

If you have a regular tub/agitator machine you can fill 1/2 with water, add a good amount of white vinegar & allow it to agitate but not empty. Give the machine a break to 'soak', then agitate again. Allow the vinegar-water to sit in the tub between rounds. Do this for the whole day (on weekend?) to give the machine a good cleaning. Often soaking in vinegar will loosen trapped debris so it can go down the drain. It will clean the machine very well even if it does not stop your lint problem. Sounds like there must be some part in the machine that got clogged w/ lint or that there is a hidden lint trap. Read the instruction booklet or try to contact the manufacturer via toll free phone or internet for troubleshooting on the problem. Good Luck! (02/16/2006)

By kidsNclutter

My husband has a company shirt with an iron-on logo. Behind the logo is a white fabric where it's stitched. I wash it with the proper colors, however the shirt is always covered with white lint. How can I wash it without the white lint getting all over the shirt?

I have a new wool sweater that gets lint all over the shirt I wear under it. Any suggestions to stop this?

By Jim

After washing my clothes small particles like cotton appear on the clothes mainly on dark colour clothes like dark blue or black.

By Santanu

I have some pants and jacket that are 96% cotton and 4% spandex in black and they seem to attract every little piece of lint in the world! I love them and want to wear them but every time I do I'm reaching for my lint roller. I have tried static guard and fabric protector but they have not worked? I'm stuck, can anyone help me with a tip?

April from La Crosse, WI

Answers:

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

Buy a piece of some very "fine" netting (tulle). I have been using the same piece for over a year and it works wonders. (05/28/2006)

By call4cathy

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

These are the types of clothing materials that I tend to stay away from. If you notice this type of attraction (between clothing and lint) in the store, please be aware, they'll do this in your closet, as well. Best of Luck with yours. (06/03/2006)

By badwater

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

Not sure how to "prevent" it but to remove lint from clothing I use one of those little round rubber things you use to get lids off of jars. They don't take up a lot of room in your purse (I actually keep one in my desk at work). Most of these have been for free from different businesses advertising. Have a couple from my credit union. I like the tulle idea too, I never thought of that, but bet it works great and would also be easy to carry. (06/06/2006)

By PeggyLee

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

Peggy Lee 31, U rock! Now I can keep my 300 dollar coat looking new! Thank you! The lid top opener works great!(04/04/2007)

By JJWILKS

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

Duct tape. (06/21/2008)

By cm123.

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

I use a hair brush to get lint off my clothing it works great! (10/01/2008)

By o2mile20

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

Put your black items in a black cloth bag (die a pillow case if you have to) then throw the whole shebang into the washer - Presto!- clean stuff without the lint!
(02/06/2009)

By Jeff

Keeping Lint Off Clothing

I never wash fleece or dress clothes with towels or denim and I don't have any problems with lint. I wash dark towels and jeans in one load, light towels and whites in another, and all the fleece and dress pants go in the medium or dark loads. My friend's mom taught me this trick when I was in High School - works like a charm! Even the inside of my sweatshirts stay soft. Now my only problem is cat fur on my work clothes. I put those on last thing before I walk out the door and try not to touch anything. (02/13/2011)

By cs_jag