Low Fat Corn Chowder
Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp finely diced celery
- 2 Tbsp finely diced onion
- 2 Tbsp finely diced green pepper
- 1 package frozen whole kernel corn (10 oz)
- 1 C peeled, diced, 1/2-inch raw potatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 C water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 C low-fat (1%) or skim milk
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, and green pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place 1/2 cup milk in a jar with tight fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Yield: 4 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 205 mg
By National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide