Low Fat Corn Chowder
Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp finely diced celery
- 2 Tbsp finely diced onion
- 2 Tbsp finely diced green pepper
- 1 package frozen whole kernel corn (10 oz)
- 1 C peeled, diced, 1/2-inch raw potatoes
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 C water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- to taste black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 C low-fat (1%) or skim milk
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, and green pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place 1/2 cup milk in a jar with tight fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Yield: 4 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 205 mg
By National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 26, 2016 at 5:28:08 PM on 10.0.0.198 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us