Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Painting Press Board Furniture

How do you paint pressed wood furniture?

By Michelle from Memphis, TN

By shoe [2]09/02/2010

Glossy paint, or some other glossy finish? If it's paint, you should be able to do the job with a light but thorough sanding to give it some "tooth". Might take two coats of brown. If you choose to use primer, you can have it tinted to the same shade of brown as your paint, usually at no cost, and then only use one coat of paint. Good luck! -sarsi

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Painting Press Board Furniture

I need opinions and creative ideas. My husband and I are going to be getting an entertainment center and two tall bookshelves from our in-laws. They are a light wood colored pressed board. So, to be creative and maybe add to our color scheme, I thought we'd paint them before we get them in the house... my husband has yet to be convinced.

Our colors are red, olive, and a golden yellow. I've been watching decorating shows, and I want my "new" furniture to have some character. Thanks. (If it helps, we have a large wall that is red, and two couches that are a solid olive color.)

Olivia from Baton Rouge

RE: Painting Press Board Furniture

My friend undertook the same project as you, so I asked her. She showed me the bookshelves she painted. 2 were with a water based paint, not good. The water base permeated the covering or (wood looking material). The other 3 were with a high gloss enamel. They look great. Not sure what will work for you, but thought you would want to know her problems (to avoid having your own). (01/19/2006)

By Jan

RE: Painting Press Board Furniture

I would think that you could paint the pressed board furniture, if you first painted it with Kilz or a similar primer. Your colors sound wonderful! (01/19/2006)

By Sharon

RE: Painting Press Board Furniture

Prime first, then use an enamel paint. Latex enamel works great if you don't like the oil paint smell. (01/20/2006)

By Anonymous

RE: Painting Press Board Furniture

Is this pressed board actually paintable? Can you do a test section? I would actually go neutral in the tan family just because you may want to change your color scheme in a few years and want the entertainment set to blend in instead of needing re-painting. (01/20/2006)

By cookwie

Archive: Painting Press Board Furniture

I have a white dresser that is made out of press board. I would like to paint the dresser dark brown, but the dresser has a gloss over it. Any ideas for painting this dresser would be great. I don't think sanding will help?

Shannon from Ontario

RE: Painting Press Board Furniture

Well when you say it is gloss that means you should sand the gloss to rough up the surface so next coat will adhere. So sand with a fine sandpaper to remove the gloss and then use a primer then the top coat. Stay away from the Kilz. I used it once on some wood furniture and made such a mess I had to sand every thing down to bare wood and the top coat would not cover the Kilz. The lighter color Kilz would show through the darker top coat. (03/19/2009)

By foxrun41

RE: Painting Press Board Furniture

Weighing in on the Kilz debate, Kilz can itself be tinted. The alcohol (shellac) formula Kilz is water proof. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck