Painting Press Board Furniture

I need opinions and creative ideas. My husband and I are going to be getting an entertainment center and two tall bookshelves from our in-laws. They are a light wood colored pressed board. So, to be creative and maybe add to our color scheme, I thought we'd paint them before we get them in the house... my husband has yet to be convinced.

Our colors are red, olive, and a golden yellow. I've been watching decorating shows, and I want my "new" furniture to have some character. Thanks. (If it helps, we have a large wall that is red, and two couches that are a solid olive color.)

Olivia from Baton Rouge

Answers:

Painting Press Board Furniture

My friend undertook the same project as you, so I asked her. She showed me the bookshelves she painted. 2 were with a water based paint, not good. The water base permeated the covering or (wood looking material). The other 3 were with a high gloss enamel. They look great. Not sure what will work for you, but thought you would want to know her problems (to avoid having your own).
(01/19/2006)

By Jan

Painting Press Board Furniture

I would think that you could paint the pressed board furniture, if you first painted it with Kilz or a similar primer. Your colors sound wonderful! (01/19/2006)

By Sharon

Painting Press Board Furniture

Prime first, then use an enamel paint. Latex enamel works great if you don't like the oil paint smell. (01/20/2006)

By sandra johnson

Painting Press Board Furniture

Is this pressed board actually paintable? Can you do a test section?
I would actually go neutral in the tan family just because you may want to change your color scheme in a few years and want the entertainment set to blend in instead of needing re-painting.
(01/20/2006)

By Holly