Painting Press Board Furniture

I have a white dresser that is made out of press board. I would like to paint the dresser dark brown, but the dresser has a gloss over it. Any ideas for painting this dresser would be great. I don't think sanding will help?

Shannon from Ontario

Answers:

Painting Press Board Furniture

Well when you say it is gloss that means you should sand the gloss to rough up the surface so next coat will adhere. So sand with a fine sandpaper to remove the gloss and then use a primer then the top coat. Stay away from the Kilz. I used it once on some wood furniture and made such a mess I had to sand every thing down to bare wood and the top coat would not cover the Kilz. The lighter color Kilz would show through the darker top coat. (03/19/2009)

By Deanj

Painting Press Board Furniture

Weighing in on the Kilz debate, Kilz can itself be tinted. The alcohol (shellac) formula Kilz is water proof. (03/19/2009)

By Dan