Are Leather Couches Kid Friendly?

Category Buying
If you are looking for kids couch, a leather sofa might just be what you are looking for. Some people believe that leather couches are the perfect family sofa, where as others disagree. Check out this guide and learn more about leather couches for houses with children and pets.

Our current couch was a hand-me-down from my grandparents, and after 10 years of us owning it, it has about had it! I'm considering buying a new couch in the not so distant future. My aunt had a beautiful leather couch, and I loved it, so I'd be interested in buying one. But, I do have a 2 year old son.

Does anyone have children and a leather couch, or would I be better off considering a different material? Would a leather couch last for some time? I don't want to put a lot of money into something that isn't going to last. I know leather couches are not cheap! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lisa

I think leather couches are the best, regardless of with kids or dogs! I have two kids that are 5 and 3 years old and I also have two dogs a 80 lbs. golden-retriever-mix and a 45 lbs. beagle, they all are all over it and it is so easy to keep clean ! and with the leather shampoo you can even get crayon marks off!

I found this sight with some great leather furniture tips types and other info

http://mobilele … eatherTypes.html

Leather couches ARE kid friendly. We bought one 1 year ago, and it still looks new. Although our family doesn't eat or drink anywhere but our kitchen, IF a child spilled on a leather couch, it'd clean up a lot easier. It can get scratched though, so you would probably have to prohibit toys in that room, which we have a toy room so no toys are allowed in our living room.

I have to say I am looking for a leather couch now because I have two lads - 5 & 2 as I have a supposedly washable cloth (cream & brown) couch which has been ruined by dogs, brat's and too many parties. I guess it's about how well you look after something, but I have heard from everyone with kids and leather that they are a perfect combination & they'd never go back! Only problem is trying to buy a couch that looks worn in and isn't already ruined....if you managed to find something please let me know!

"I have 4 children and am totally happy with my leather sofas.With 2 infants, a 4 yr old, and 11 yr old this was the best choice ever!!!! It is so easy to wipe a spill compared to my non-leather couches that I had before. If you have small children and want to keep nice looking furniture also I would definetly get leather."

If you want leather and expect to get real heavy use from kids and dogs. You really should consider a heavily finished leather or pigmented... In other words... You may not want to get a more natural or naked finish leather... A fully colored finished leather will withstand a lot of abuse...

For more on leather types visit this sight.. There is much to read and many awsome links.

http://mobilele … eatherTypes.html

I am searching for a leather couch because I have three dogs. For those of you that have leather couches that have resisted dogs scratches, can you tell me the type of leather you have. I know there are different types and I would like to make the right selection.

Not from my experience!! I can tell you that I am very dissapointed with the leather set I bought 7 years ago. I purchased a Natuzzi leather set that I understood would stand the test of time and durable enough for a household with young children. I have 2 young boys and with the constant sitting, laying and jumping, etc. the leather became cracked, what an ugly site! Honestly, I wished our sales person told us about conditioning the leather every few months. Maybe it would not have gotten so bad, I'll never know. After refubishing the seats which was a costly mistake, it became worse with each passing day. We are now looking to buy new furniture. We will probably purchase a set with a tight woven chenille fabric. So far, all of my friends with kids who have this fabric are very happy and their sofas are still in great shape.

Yes Leather Couches are Kid- & Dog- Friendly!

You just have to get the right kind of leather. On some leather you will spill water and it will change color and look like it's absorbed water. I'm 100% that those who complained about scratches on the 2nd day or that it's not a good idea with a 2 year old, have the worst kinds of leather, they just don't know about it. Not all leather scratches easily. I've had my leather furniture for over 10 years, and the leather still looks new. The only problem is that it's not as comfy anymore, but that's what's happening to all furniture after 10 years of sitting in it. No it doesn't feel cold and no I never stick to it. It's easy to wipe and it doesn't scratch as easily. If you want to buy leather couches get TOP GRAIN leather.

Dear Lisa,

Yes some leather furniture is kid friendly up to a degree. Don't leave them alone in a room with crayons,ink or paint. If they are diaper training, don't sit them on the furniture. Don't allow them to drink or eat while sitting on the leather piece. If they are sick with a stomach bug, keep them in bed. I can go on with all types of issues with leather, because I have to clean up most of the problems left behind from children.

I have a client who was talked into buying Nubuck Leather from a sales person, and what a mistake that was. She has a small football team of boys and they have caused more problems than they can handle. After giving her a price to restore the furniture she thought to herself what did I get myself into and how can she correct the issue of messy kids. So unless your children are well behaived, start off with leather you can afford not to lose.

Sincerely Mark

Supreme Care Leather Services

www.supremecareleatherservice.com