Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails

Your own fingernails can hurt after taking off fake nails. This guide is about remedies for nail pain after removing acrylic nails.

I just had my acrylic nails taken off and my nails are so sore. Its seems like when they filed my nails they took too much off. I can't do anything because they are so painful and sore. Can anyone recommend anything for me to use? Thank you.

By Chantelle from Nottingham

Best Answer

Actually, nails don't breathe. Your nails have been sanded down so thin that the nerves under them are sensitive. If you apply several coats of "Hard as Nails" polish it will reduce the sensitivity until the whole nail grows back again.

Best Answer

Had the same problem. Sounds funny, but go to a place where they sell horse supplies. Buy the product used to groom horses' hooves. In the U.S. it's called "Hoof Maker". Rub a small amount on your nails several times a day. It conditions your nails, makes them stronger, and will actually soften your cuticles as a bonus! I noticed a change within a week and the pain subsided. Good luck!

Best Answer

I just had the same thing happen and it was so painful. I put about ten layers of clear nail polish on. It creates a barrier. I also tried some nail strengthener and it wasn't as good. Don't put colored polish on. That weakens the nails and makes them catch on things and rip. I also keep a nail file with me so if anything starts to rip I file it right away before it gets worse. I can't believe how well the clear polish works. I sit in front of the TV and put more on every few minutes. Sometimes I put on some sparkles too just to pretty them up. Hope it helps!

You can apply some Ora-gel type product to painful areas until the nail grows out some. Your real nail will be very thin for a while. Try some over the counter prenatal vitamins daily, and some 'nail hardener' type polish in clear for at least a month, just paint on daily until your regular nails thicken back out.

It took over 2 years for my nails to start hardening up after removal of the acrylic tops. They grind down the whole top of your nail for the acrylics to stick, & now there's little protection for the nail beds.

The pain will last a few days. Aspirin might help.

Right now your nails are screaming for help not more punishment. They need air and care. Use a good nail and hand oil treatment. Rub it in several times a day, use gloves when washing dishes and other harsh chemicals. Keep the nails trimmed short until the new healthy nail can grow out in a few months. Trying to keep them out of hot water will keep the pain down also. I went through the same thing. I even did my own nails and did not file the top layer off, they are just starved for oxygen so please don't put any polish or any kind on them. Only my opinion from my own experience. The pain should go away in 3 or 4 days. Good luck.

If it were me I'd put some Campho-Phenique on it. It really takes the soreness out of things. Is good for many other things, bug bites, cuts and scrapes, etc. Dh once had chiggers and could get no relief from the itching, and I told him to try it, and it worked.

If you ever try artificial nails again after your nails heal, just get one and leave it for a week to start, as a test. I had the same issues, turns out I had developed an allergy to the chemicals used. Didn't know and tried artificial nails a year or two later, realized it was allergy when they started hurting about 10 minutes after I put them on; I didn't even file because since I did them myself I never worried about one coming off because I could easily replace it. If you are feeling burning or an unbearable intense ache now, proceed with extreme caution if you ever try them again! I can never wear them again now.

Soak your hands in warm vinegar water. 1/4 cup white vinegar to 1 cup warm water. As warm as you can stand it without it burning you. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day until soarness is gone. The vinegar water can be reheated in microbe. But be careful not to get burned or scalded. Use new vinegar water every day.

What about Tylenol or Advil

February 28, 2014 Flag

I took off my acrylic nail by biting it off, now my finger is throbbing with a huge pain! What can I do to make the pain go away? Please help.

By Yazmyne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Take a pain med and don't do that again! If it's swollen wrap it in ice. Watch it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

you should try put the clear top coat nail polish

May 7, 2016 Flag

Why do my nails still feel sore to the touch four days after having my acrylic nails removed? I went to the salon that put my acrylic nails on to remove them. Is the salon at fault here or I am being a whimp? It has had a great effect on my daily life. I am having problems doing simple things with my hands. How long is this likely to last? I get married on the 17th May 2016. So getting worried that I may not be able to have my nails done for my wedding. :-(

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You must be very sensitive to the glue and harsh chemicals that are needed in order to affix fake nails. I would advise you against doing that ever again.

Go back to the nail salon and have them removed. You don't want to risk an infection.

March 26, 2014 Flag

My fingernail beds are very tender and sore from removing acrylic nails. What can I do to make the my fingers feel better?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsMarch 21, 2013
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 7:20:15 PM on 10.0.1.241 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.