Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails

Category Nail Tips
Your own fingernails can hurt after taking off fake nails. This guide is about remedies for nail pain after removing acrylic nails.

I just had my acrylic nails taken off and my nails are so sore. Its seems like when they filed my nails they took too much off. I can't do anything because they are so painful and sore. Can anyone recommend anything for me to use? Thank you.

By Chantelle from Nottingham

Best Answer

Actually, nails don't breathe. Your nails have been sanded down so thin that the nerves under them are sensitive. If you apply several coats of "Hard as Nails" polish it will reduce the sensitivity until the whole nail grows back again.

Best Answer

Had the same problem. Sounds funny, but go to a place where they sell horse supplies. Buy the product used to groom horses' hooves. In the U.S. it's called "Hoof Maker". Rub a small amount on your nails several times a day. It conditions your nails, makes them stronger, and will actually soften your cuticles as a bonus! I noticed a change within a week and the pain subsided. Good luck!

Best Answer

I just had the same thing happen and it was so painful. I put about ten layers of clear nail polish on. It creates a barrier. I also tried some nail strengthener and it wasn't as good. Don't put colored polish on. That weakens the nails and makes them catch on things and rip. I also keep a nail file with me so if anything starts to rip I file it right away before it gets worse. I can't believe how well the clear polish works. I sit in front of the TV and put more on every few minutes. Sometimes I put on some sparkles too just to pretty them up. Hope it helps!

Right now your nails are screaming for help not more punishment. They need air and care. Use a good nail and hand oil treatment. Rub it in several times a day, use gloves when washing dishes and other harsh chemicals. Keep the nails trimmed short until the new healthy nail can grow out in a few months. Trying to keep them out of hot water will keep the pain down also. I went through the same thing. I even did my own nails and did not file the top layer off, they are just starved for oxygen so please don't put any polish or any kind on them. Only my opinion from my own experience. The pain should go away in 3 or 4 days. Good luck.

If it were me I'd put some Campho-Phenique on it. It really takes the soreness out of things. Is good for many other things, bug bites, cuts and scrapes, etc. Dh once had chiggers and could get no relief from the itching, and I told him to try it, and it worked.

If you ever try artificial nails again after your nails heal, just get one and leave it for a week to start, as a test. I had the same issues, turns out I had developed an allergy to the chemicals used. Didn't know and tried artificial nails a year or two later, realized it was allergy when they started hurting about 10 minutes after I put them on; I didn't even file because since I did them myself I never worried about one coming off because I could easily replace it. If you are feeling burning or an unbearable intense ache now, proceed with extreme caution if you ever try them again! I can never wear them again now.

Anonymous

Soak your hands in warm vinegar water. 1/4 cup white vinegar to 1 cup warm water. As warm as you can stand it without it burning you. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day until soarness is gone. The vinegar water can be reheated in microbe. But be careful not to get burned or scalded. Use new vinegar water every day.

What about Tylenol or Advil

I had a full set of acrylic fitted yesterday, the nail person made my cuticles bleed. Today my fingers are really sore, is this normal?

By Se from Lancashire

Best Answer

You said you got bleeding while pushing back cuticles. Acrylic liquid should not applied to the damaged bleeding nails. I suppose your beautician done something very wrong. The products use to apply acrylic nails are very toxic. You better to visit your doctor and stop doing acrylic nails for few days until you recover.

Yes, it is normal and is the cost of beauty. I have been applying acrylics for over 7 years. It hurts at first with soreness around the cuticle. My nails still look fab, however my real nails are now ruined. You must keep on doing it about every two weeks. Apply some neosporin it might ease the pain. Enjoy the new nails!

I don't think so Enchanted Angel! After talking to several people, whom have got acrylic nails, they say I have had a very bad job! by a rubbish nail novice person. I may sue her yet, my fingers are still sore 4 days after. I just wished I should have gone to a proper salon, I will never go to a cheap person again.

You should not have bleeding! Please keep in mind that in a situation where blood gets out, bacteria can get in. Since you've posted this question on a thrifty web site, I'm going to comment that in addition to taking potential risks with your health (I know of people who've had serious infections from nail salons), there may be better things to spend your money on.

Yes, I agree with Enchanted Angel. I have been getting my nails done over 10 years now. I have them filled in and repainted every 2 weeks. Every now and then I get them removed and have a new set put on. My own nails have grown out now, so I only get hardening gel put over my real nails. I have tried to keep my own set without anything on top, but I still bite them and pick at them. I dont do that when I have the acrylic hardening stuff put on them. Mine hurt when I first had them put on because I wasnt used to them yet.

I did this for years and went to different nail salons all the time. I remember once my fingers hurt for a few days and it was because the nail person filed down the tops of the nails too much and they were thin. I know this because the next time I got them done, that person told me that they were filed down too much.

The next time I had to change my nails - boy it hurt to take them off! I stopped getting my nails done and let them grow out. It is so bad for your nails to do that. I feel great now that there are no more appointments, and I'm saving a lot of money!

I took off my acrylic nail by biting it off, now my finger is throbbing with a huge pain! What can I do to make the pain go away? Please help.

By Yazmyne

Best Answer

Take a pain med and don't do that again! If it's swollen wrap it in ice. Watch it to make sure it doesn't get infected.

Anonymous

you should try put the clear top coat nail polish

Why do my nails still feel sore to the touch four days after having my acrylic nails removed? I went to the salon that put my acrylic nails on to remove them. Is the salon at fault here or I am being a whimp? It has had a great effect on my daily life. I am having problems doing simple things with my hands. How long is this likely to last? I get married on the 17th May 2016. So getting worried that I may not be able to have my nails done for my wedding. :-(

You must be very sensitive to the glue and harsh chemicals that are needed in order to affix fake nails. I would advise you against doing that ever again.

Go back to the nail salon and have them removed. You don't want to risk an infection.

My fingernail beds are very tender and sore from removing acrylic nails. What can I do to make the my fingers feel better?