Cleaning Aluminum Window Frames

How do you clean aluminum? We have old aluminum window frames in an old house. We are renovating and I would like to clean the window frames. They are looking tired and old and the window runners have mold and a build up of dirt and dust.

Liz from Collie, Western Australia

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Harry (Guest Post) 11/26/2008

Years ago aluminum storms were not anodized causing them to oxidize when put to the weather. This is the same as steel rusting. Later aluminum storms were anodized by electrochemical method to stop the oxidizing. So some anodized aluminum storms are natural (silver color) or have a color. You could clean them with TSP (trisodium phosphate) and a stiff brush. You should be able to buy TSP in a hardware store. Spic and Span used to contain TSP but I don't know if that is true today. When finished with the soap, water and brush the natural color storms may still look tired and old. That is the nature of old aluminum.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Carol L Craig 21 71 11/26/2008

I owned an older home that had the same problem about 5 years ago. I took and scrubbed the aluminum frames with brillo pads and water. All of the anondizing came off and the frames were shiny when done.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No