My Frugal Life: Bath in a Bucket

Back when I first moved to Western Montana, we lived in an old cook shack; no running water, creek out the back, outhouse down the hill. My Frugal LifeOnce you learn how to bathe yourself sparkly clean AND wash and rinse your hair clean by using one small galvanized bucket of hot water, I think a lifetime of frugality is required. Today, I only have to bathe once in a great while in a bucket of hot water, but can you do it? Takes practice! Good to know in case of a power outage or an emergency water situation. I store water and have a wood stove, so I can always be clean.

By Gracie from Stevensville, MT

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Yes I can do it too. Learned it in Africa. Heat water to desired warmth. Get a wash cloth and soap it and dip and repeat as you wash your body from face down. At end dip hair into bucket, lather, and repeat if necessary. At end, pour water over yourself to rinse. This is assuming you are standing in tub, or where water can run off. If you were very muddy, etc. probably have to divide water and discard muddy water and repeat with cleaner water for good rinse.

I grew up in a rural area in the 1950's.. We did have electricity, but no running water, hot water heater or indoor plumbing. We had an electric stove & refrigerator, but heated the house with a wood heater. We boiled water on the stove for everything from washing the dishes to bathing in a wash basin or tin tub. We actually worked at keeping clean in those days, but yes we were very clean and well groomed.

Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeDecember 21, 2010
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes